High end speakers at low volume

After having got accustomed to my new Vitus RI-101 mk II, I came to the conclusion that I need to improve my system's performance at low volume to enjoy music more.

Current sources: LinnLP12, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Nucleus. 
Speakers: Avalon Idea. 
Shunyata Delta NR V2 and Hemingway Indigo PC, Tara Labs Forté, TQ 2 Black diamond IC.

I am looking at replacing the Avalon Idea with speakers that could improve the low volume listening experience. I listen to 60 / 70db, I can afford to go up to 85db for very short time (neighbours).

I am also considering to purchase a Loki Max which I understood being quite a neutral EQ unit.

I have selected a few speakers which should match my musical taste based on what I have read:

- YG Carmel 2
- Wilson Sabrina X
- Vandersteen treo ct
- TAD ME1

I don't have the chance to listen to them except the TAD ME1 which I have enjoyed very much but not in my apartment.

Budget max $15k new or used.

I am looking for speakers sounding musical, with wide soundstage, not cold, detailed yet not analytical.

I mostly listen to classic rock, blues and jazz.

The system sits at the end of the long wall in a living room measuring 33x13ft, listening position 8ft from the speakers.

Unfortunately I have to face a tough WAF putting several limits:

- speakers must have a clean design, not black, not too hifi looking... and not too big
- distance from the wall behind the speakers 25cm

I don't mind changing amplifier if it will be necessary to match the next speakers.

I haven't found a preamp that I could consider a good candidate except a very expensive CSport featuring a loudness button which works very well (tested at Ana Mighty Sound).

I would much appreciate some advice from who knows well the above speakers or who had similar needs.

ricco275

I use horns with a coaxial midrange and dual 21-inch woofers preside in my office system. It's on many hours a day. At times I use it for moves or gaming. Its an amazing-sounding loudspeaker and at lower levels is articulate dynamic engaging with detailed bass. For movies, I can clearly hear spoken words even at low levels. Something conventional designs can not do.

On Buchardt’s facebook page the owner mentions that there will be update to the Model S400 MKII passive speaker sometime in the near future that will be double the current price, so around 4,200 euro a pair. Might be worth checking out. They have a generous trial period and cover shipping, taxes, and import/export costs, with a minimum return shipping fee if you don’t like them. They also have a new A10 active speaker (made in Denmark) with the Purifi woofer and solid wood cabinet. In the USA they seem to have a following and a good resale value. Sounds like I’m trying to sell them, but really I’m just trying to convince myself to try them out :)

Of the speakers on your list I have only heard the Vandersteen Treo CT’s and in my system they sounded great at low volume. Any of the Vandersteen speakers that have the CT tweeters sound good at low volume. Harbeth speakers do low volume really well also. I had Harbeth speakers ( 5’s and 40’s) before the Vandersteen’s and bought them specifically because I needed a speaker that sounded good at low volume. Good Luck!

@jackjohnson316 Audio Excellence Canada released a bunch of videos talking about the Buchardt S400. They said that the Buchardt S400 require volume to "come alive". You'll have to watch 3 videos however. And the first video isn't so positive. But that might be a room problem, I don't fully remember. 

FYI, I'm trying to sell people on the OGY so hard haha. 

@joey54 great to hear so! Unfortunately I can’t find anyone selling Vandersteen in France.