Help settle a streaming argument!

This is a SQ argument and is as follows-  I argue if you connect your streamer to an outboard DAC the streamer does not matter it’s just serving the music to the outboard DAC to do the work.  Therefore, buy a basic streamer.  The other is that you need to buy a top quality streamer and DAC to get great SQ. 

I liken it to cd players or the more pretentious cd transport argument- if the intent is to connect to outboard DAC the cd player doesn’t matter the outboard DAC DOES!

features and functionality aside!  Thoughts…..

polkalover

Short answer, yes it does.....greatly.

I started with a Node 130 into a Denafrips Pontus II using several different connections, and thought it sounded great.....but this was my first steaming set up. Added a Denafrips Iris DDC at the recommendation of Alvin Chee at Vinshine and I2S cables (Audioquest Vodka (better at $500) and Supra Excalibur (a deal at $150). This was a huge leap in SQ. Later added an LHY linear power supply $279, which upped the anti as well, and the sound is something I could (and do currently do) live with for quite a while.

Here's the rub: I was silly enough to borrow an Aurender N10 and a N200 streamer, and they were stupid good. I am now saving the $6,000 for an Aurender/Lumin/Innuous, at which point I'll sell the Node set up. Once I heard the SQ improvement, I cannot "unhear" it.....it's only money after all

@vthokie83 been there done exactly that.  Unless you’re planning to upgrade your DAC, I’d suggest trying the Aurender N150 with your Pontus.  I own both the N150 and N200 and when tried with my Pontus, there was no significant difference in SQ.  Now once I tried the same two streamers with my Terminator Plus, the up tic in SQ was quite noticeable.

@rgottschalk with your system I’m very surprised that you did not hear a rather significant difference in SQ with the Zen mini.  While the Cinnamon USB could be improved upon I don’t believe you will still hear much improvement.  Did you give things time to settle in?  Not being blown away I could possibly understand, but something else was going on to not hear any difference. If you haven’t sent the mini back, I’d suggest trying things again taking Roon out of the equation.  Not really sure how Roon could be the culprit either but again with your other components, it’s the only thing I can think of that's preventing an improvement.

Ask this same question on other audio forums and you’re likely to get a very different consensus. The difference lies in the prevailing belief systems adopted by the largest demographic of these forums. Members here generally dismiss the notion that measurements or visual data can reveal the factors that determine the whole of sound quality. Mostly, members here approach the topic from a purely subjective standpoint, even neglecting to level-match the component outputs in most cases. And in some cases, you’ll encounter claims that they conducted blind, level-matched comparisons with a group of friends, when in reality they did nothing of the sort.

However, in the “science-based” forums, you’ll encounter similar claims in support of the opposing stance, again, by those who didn’t really make the painstaking effort to remain objective. 

Coincidentally, I’ve yet to encounter a dealer on any of these forums who doesn’t fall into the “all-streamers-sound-different” camp. Perhaps it’s equally ironic that I encounter the “all-streamers-sound-the-same” people in the forums largely populated by budget gear users. 

In essence, this is one those questions you ultimately must decide for yourself, relying on whatever comparison controls you deem sufficient. Otherwise, you can consult half a dozen forums and still end up back where you began.

I will point out that those who conduct and trust all known digital data measurement parameters have concluded that any decent budget streamer will perform as good as the high dollar units when paired with external DACs.