Help! New TT skipping badly....

Recently bought a used VPI Scout with JMW arm  9 in.  Set up on shelf om my SolidSteel rack where I have always had a TT. Could barely breathe without arm skipping. If I walk anywhere near rack, skips. Floor is carpeted over hardwood, quite solid, never had issue with Clear Audio or Rega table. Took to Audio Connection and had completely gone over and adjusted. Better but still bad. Put cork /sorbathane blocks on shelf and put 3 inch solid maple slab on top of that. No change. removed top shelf and put the cork/ sorb. blocks directly on frame, then maple slab. still skips. everything is dead nuts level, and as stated, floor is firm. Went in basement and put a brace between floor joists, nada. Tomorrow I was thinking of taking rack down and removing spiked feet. Odds this helps? I know some will suggest wall mount, but I don't want to spend anymore money if I can avoid it.As I said, Ive had other TTs in exact spot and you could dance with never a problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.As I said TT was recently gone over and is set up correctly. Thanks
winoguy17

Showing 3 responses by tomic601

when everything looks like a spring….every spring looks just like a hammer…

but thank God there are real engineering firms in the USA close to you that specialize in isolating this and more. For example Johnny who you know, carries HRS, turntable bases start just north of $1k. There are others, you have many choices of excellent TT and other isolation.

A quick ? unipivot on any of the other TT ?

eyeball the cuing lever spacing, Use a light, 140 g thru 200 g LPs

Nick did your setup ? excellent man and his work ethic superb. Listening to a high resolution file of a TT he setup, Cello to die for….but it sounds like he setup at shop and you transported ? Was he aware of the skip issue ?

A wall mount ( source thru Rega dealer or online ) is a couple of hundred bucks….i know $$ but….  

level ? try to level the table with feet screwed all the way up and then down .25 to .5 turns. you may have feet extended into an unstable range.

removing rack spikes unlikely to help, most likely make it worse…35 years of experience w Linn ( selling against them but fixing others work , whenever i did that i took along a loaner SOTA Sapphire….few came back… )

Finally you got excellent advice on temporary relocation of the table, you are not testing sonics just skip. Corner in tight best spot.

hope your frustration level goes down

jim