Help in putting together my system with used equipment on Audiogon and eBay.

I’m looking for the best bang for the buck. What equipment can I find that would make the best system for my budget ($8000)? I'm starting out with:

Pass Labs X1 Preamp, my rock to start with. I got it for $2500 This is where you can help me the most. Let me know your best match for this pre-amp, or the ones you have found to be the best you have heard!

Bryston 4B SST amp for about $1700. It’s been my experience that more power wakes up a speaker and pins it’s ears back. At 300wpc and the reviews on this amp I picked it, but just to start. I really need some experienced people to give me recommendations for the amp, or if the Bryston is a winner. I can sell this for a better amp.

Do I need a DAC?

Phono. I’ve realized that might be a big reason why people go to separates isn’t it? I’d like to hear some comments on this. If you have separates and no phono, what do you use? Stream music? CD’s?

CD player? I do have a lot of CD’s. With separates, it’s either phono, cd, or streaming correct?

I’m not really a phono guy, but I know which albums I would buy so it is an option. I wouldn’t know a good phono if you hit me with it. Please recommend a few.

I’m leaning toward B&W speakers just because of their reputation. I may spend up to 5k on a good pair of speakers, but I want them to be used and costing much more when bought new. I know how to spot a good deal and not buy speakers on their death bed (from reputable sellers), but I need your recommendations too. You all have heard more speakers than I ever have and will.

**I’m going to check this post often and answer any questions and write down your recommendations.
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR THIS, IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME!
128x128imabucfan
With this amount of opinions you can pretty much do anything and youll be fine .  
Lol! True davekayc! What I am looking for in these posts are multiple recommendations for an amp/preamp/digital gear/speakers. If I get multiple recommendations from these audio loving good people I know to take a hard look at it. An example is people recommending tube amps. I don't know the maintenance involved (tube replacement) and cost, but if that is the best way to a great system, will play loud and clean, I will definitely be considering it. Class A amps is another option. Speakers will be my choice and the best I can find. Digital equipment scares me, I want a media player not a wireless player, and I'm hoping to incorporate a DAC/headphone amp/cd player/cd ripper or as much as I can into one player. It seems to me the technology is really ramping up on this gear. The Innous Zen MK3 and the Bluesound Vault seem to be the most popular. Thanks to everyone, these posts are helping me a great deal!!!
Your post reminds me of my re-entry into hifi about twelve years ago, and I'd hope you wouldn't repeat my mistake: since I lived in a backwater, I read everything and then spent tons experimenting and upgrading and downgrading.  If I had it to do all over again, I would have first spent money to travel to a large city with several good hi-end dealers and auditioned speakers.  While it is fact that ultimately what we all do is find a system that suits our listening rooms and tastes, speakers lock in the biggest chunk of what a system can do.  I also would not require expensive speakers: I've been quite happy with Tannoy Revolution XT8 speakers that cost $2400/pr. new, some of the least expensive speakers I've owned.

I would say the next step is choosing solid state vs. tubes.  The best system I ever owned used a tube preamp (Audio Research Reference 3) with a SS power amp (McIntosh MC-150);  speakers were Sonus Faber Cermona Ms.  Tubes give you flexibility in tailoring the sound after your purchase; changing tubes can radically change the sound.
A final remark: while I love vinyl and consider its unique sound irreplaceable, getting into vinyl would be the most expensive single choice you could make.  Far more cost effective to get a CD player for your existing music and then add streaming, assuming your internet connection supports it and you don't mind messing with computer stuff.
Enjoy the journey!
I have more to add, now that I have some time.  The VMPS speakers I mentioned are so good sounding and reviewed by experts that I put my speakers up for sale on Saturday last week, by Sunday had a full price offer and got another FP offer the next day from another.  Upon listening to them for the first time since I bought my idea of the speakers I couldn't afford, but got a very good deal on, I was floored at the new ability they had since going through many cable changes in the 17 months with the dream speakers.  The VMPS speakers are among the few that have amazing detail, great potent bass, and hopping dynamics, with a wide, deep soundstage, and can play at high volume, yet sound great at low volume.  They are also adjustable in levels for the treble, mids and bass.  The bass can be played with to sound anywhere from very tight to much more full and places in-between.  So your room won't be such an issue by using a big, powerful speaker.  The electronic combo I recommended has a great tube preamp, and powerful class D amp that absolutely will do what you want, allow you to hear all that is going on.  You can take a bit of those who know a component or two and what they MAY do for the sound, but this is a very high chance of being way more system than you thought you could buy.

Hey, it's your money.
Bob

You already have a pretty good pre-amp and amp and they are not part of the $8000 budget, I assume.

My suggestion is to keep the pre-amp and amp and get a decent set of speakers and a music server that can rip and stream.

Leave the analog rig for a later upgrade.

enjoy your system and if you begin to feel that something is missing, then, start on the upgrade road. 

enjoy what you have, find a nice set of speakers.  Go digital for now until you are set on your system and then investigate analog later when you budget allows.

Under no circumstance would I suggest you sell everything and start from scratch.  Start with what you already have and build from their based on your taste in music, what you feel is missing and could be better and most importantly, your budget.

just my thoughts,

enjoy