Have we lost civility and respect on Audio forums?

I think we have.  I have seen many discussion on audio forums and how nasty they can become when you have people disagreeing. Seems like there are a lot more know it alls now. I been in 20 years and I can still learn.  But I also know I know quite a bit. Like cables can enhance the sound and higher end well designed gear can truly be ear candy special.  Is this just on audio forums or the internet period. 

calvinj

Showing 14 responses by tomic601

But i leave you a respectful way out….just explain a few things like SOTA and by  what means congruent and conforming to your stated beliefs you will establish improvement across a simultaneous multi variable change ( the room )….

you should pay more attention to the words you choose “ i expect the results to be SOTA “…. just who is the “ I “….in your post…..

You made the box you find yourself in….. 

Just answer the direct ? how will YOU decide ? …… i get you are hiding behind the invitation…. but first… invite yourself 

@puptent thanks to real science and technology, i get a blood sugar reading every 5 minutes…. 

I also run a very heavily modified 1961 M240. I suspect we would get along well. Stop by anytime :-) i serve a mean Pinot, well you can decide if it’s Pinot as tge bartender…tends..to be…. double… blind

Slippery and very unscientific…. a peer would answer the question…. but i will help you…..

How are you going to decide your effort = SOTA ?

There is another camp…the listen and measure crowd…. best example i know expressed in a commercial product is Charlie’s measure  / listen switch on the QB-9

I am wondering, using your own testing criteria / and methodology, just how we would draw a valid conclusion about your Las Vegas system being SOTA ?

Lord…i had banished from memory the Cat and the destroyed REF5 se …… instant PTSD….

One of the things, life experiences..that keep me grounded  ( pardon the pun )…. is i helped run a decent sized satellite design/build/launch /operate business…..  including GPS …. fun stuff like XM Radio, Wide Band Gapfiller…. 

Hopefully you understand Relativity , including special doesn’t explain everything…. We will understand more when unified with a much improved knowledge of Quantum mechanics…. and my humility allows me to say…. there will be many things that unification will not explain…..

Chew on the power of relativity to fail on explaining singularity in a rotating black hole….

@deep_333 i shall pay you more credit…. i dabble about for a few hours a day, not the 16 you mention  ( although my more fervent peers who are younger with more drive put in time like that… )   in Quantum computing…. where the boundaries of knowing and measuring live in stark but expanding contrast. It would be a better world IF more people with evangelical like certainty about JUST how the ear brain  works would approach it with less certainty…..

it’s pretty clear, i am both a measure and listen guy. I get enough exposure to have a sonic memory of a wide variety of systems, i would consider state of the art. My life, blessed as it is, includes  a generous heaping helping of live acoustic musical events in lovely reverberant spaces to have a reference. 

Note plural systems. I am not alone. Seek out community, peers, those you can learn from. Join an Audio Society.  Find a mentor ( RIP Roger, Thank you Richard ), find someone you can help …. 

I am sincere in my ask about how he intends to evaluate SOTA against his expectation. Especially given his stated methods and the multi variable changes. I am not questioning his assertion of a SOTA expectation. Frankly, i’ve heard quite modest systems surf the edges of SOTA on some key attributes of sound reproduction - including the sometimes elusive emotional engagement factor.

@asvjerry you made me laugh…. best to you…

oh, and this village, like any on the web and this particular universe, has more than one idiot…..

Fine doubles, fly rods, boats, wine, scotch, magnetic tape, fine hunting doubles, master ingravers, bird dogs, even deck boot discussions can get edgy….. the IGNORE feature will serve you well… its a line of code in your brain….

the IGNORE skill must be cultivated and converted to mental muscle memory…but observing the village idiot / drunk / know it all / is helpful…if even just to avoid the toxic trails they leave..often in impressionable minds…..proves a valuable ocassional sample….