Has anyone else auditioned something that really was terrible?

I decided to check out Rotel on current B&W 804's, since I figured these speakers would be most similar to my older 803"s.Even the sales person had to admit it was not something I would want to listen to for any length of time.Do people buy this for background music?For around $4000 for a CD and integrated amp, it was not impressive. to say the least. It actually sounded like my first preamp, a Crown IC something or other.
Someone gave me a 125 wpc Marantz surround receiver.  I plugged it in and listened for 5 minutes, then permanently re-boxed it to sell, if I ever get around to it. It is totally unlistemable.
Am I just spoiled?
128x128danvignau

Showing 2 responses by bob540

Having majored in a low-paying profession, and not getting much help from the Mrs., I didn’t have the money to replace the stereo system stolen from my bachelor apartment.  And when you don’t have money, what is the point of window-shopping for audio equipment, or anything nice? (Sad, I agree).  And the people we hung out with didn’t have much more than we did.

I was still using the Sony receiver, Pioneer CD and Jensen speakers I’d had for 25+ years when, this past December, my she’s-the-one girlfriend decides to move on.  Bummer. And what’s a guy to do?  I decided I would finally indulge my long-time interest in fine electronics.  I have only been acquiring pieces since early January of this year.  I don’t know what sounds good yet, and instead of going to a local hifi store where they tweak equipment to make it sound better than it ever would for me, I decided to research on-line to find items in my price range that are well-regarded (and seek opinions here). 

Now the “what sounds bad” part:  I have recently been moving my new subs to see where they sound best, and I was close to my speakers and realized that there wasn’t much sound coming from the right main.  I heard this before and I thought it strange that so much music would have been mixed with most voice and guitar coming from the left channel.  Being closer and realizing “this ain’t right”, I switched the speaker cables and found that most music now came from the right channel.  Great!  Something is wrong with the right channel on my new-used amp!  

But before I got panicked, I started checking various connections and finally both channels played!  I sat back at my usual listening spot and realized that I was just now hearing my system the way it should be!  I know this sounds utterly stupid — how could I not have noticed before?  But there was some sound coming from the right speaker, but it was less than half the volume that was coming from the left, and I still thought it sounded good.  So . . . the weakest link in a stereo set-up is obviously ME!
Kren0006:   I am in that category now with my family.  They looked at my Parasound amp, pre-amp and Martin Logan towers and were obviously puzzled that I would spend such money, when they already thought my old system was good.  I’m too old to be having another mid-life crisis, so I think they are attributing it to a semi-psychotic break resulting from the departure of my love mate.  (Might play a part)  😁

mtdining:  I’m surprised to see that you were not impressed by the KEF LS50s.  Steve Gutenberg and some other reviewers have raved about them, stating that they are their own reference speakers and, when combined with quality subs, would likely satisfy most discerning listeners.