Has anyone bought the Psvane Acme 300B Vacuum Tube?

These are on my radar but I really know little of them. I had contact once with a fella that re-tubed his VAC Renaissance 70/70 amp with them and said they made a big difference in a good way. It would take about $4K to re-tube my amp with these. I am not in a hurry, just doing research. I can have VAC re-tube it for less than half of this. I think tubes will last a very long time in my amp, especially after I get the MK III upgrade on this amp when I take it to VAC this October. I can also get Gold Lion PX300B tubes for half of this, any one use those? I've had this amp a long time, I plan on keeping it until the grave so I want to do this right their first time even if I have to be patient and wait to afford a re tube. I am retired so disposable income is vastly reduced. I am just thankful i have so many fine audio pieces to enjoy now that I bought many years ago when I could.

128x128fthompson251

Showing 4 responses by sns

I decided to purchase the Acme's for my custom build 300B monoblocks some time ago after doing extensive research on all the top line 300B tubes, really became a crap shoot as all the nice 300B's have their proponents. My take is they're all nice and you'd likely be happy with any of them. There are instances of premature failures in some of them, but in most cases limited to certain amps. For instance I did find a thread with a few Acme failures in LIne Magnetic amps, bad batch of tubes or excessive plate voltages in the LM amps? Don't recall seeing more recent failures of this tube.

Anyway, the Acme's were a substantial upgrade over the Shuguang Black Treasure which based on reviews are likely the best of the lower grade 300B's. Far greater resolution and transparency, greater harmonic development, timbre far more natural than the Black Treasure.  I'd judge flavor as neutral with a touch of warmth, the warmth coming from the harmonic development, just right in context of my total system. I wouldn't want to go further in warmth, I like articulate bass without bloat.

I consider a top line 300B tube as mandatory for any equipment using the tube, really not hearing near it's full potential with the lower grade 300B's.

While above is interesting for those directly in room, youtube videos very poor way to make any audio evaluation. You're listening to unfamiliar systems through relatively low quality digital. The listening impressions may be valid for people producing video, the sound portion has no validity for the listener.

As I previously mentioned, in checking around the web you'll mostly find satisfied users of all the boutique 300B tubes. This tells you one of two things, either all the boutique tubes are nice or its all confirmation bias. You may find a particular 300b is preferred for a specific component, but overall they all get high marks.

In lower price group, Shuguang Black Treasure comes out on top in some the comparative reviews I've seen. All tubes in lower tier really not close to upper tier, really no middle ground with these tubes. The large gulf due mostly to superior resolving/transparency capabilities of the top tier. Can understand the cost issue, minimum $4k for the top tier.

Based on my extensive research, and not having heard in my amp. Taks generally have rep of being on more romantic side, I've seen rare failures. EML, more on cool side, never seen a single failure,  Elrog, seen perception of sound quality all over the place, I tend to believe bit more on romantic side, many failures with previous iterations, haven't seen a documented failure of latest iteration.  Acme, lean just a bit warm of neutral, rare failures, mostly seen in some Line Magnetic amps.

Keep in mind these are generalities, YMMV. Above from observations over many years in any number of forums and reviews. My choice for 300B were based off Western Electric and EML for reliability and durability, Elrog, Taks and Acme for richer sound. I'd expect the Linlai Elites are another top contender.