Harbeth M40.1 vs. KEF 205/2 vs. Spendor SP100R2

Three UK built speakers that offer near state of the art sound and are "relatively" affordable to many of us on Audiogon. My experience with the 3 models is limited so your opinions will be interesting and valued. My most recent demo was the Harbeth 40.1. My opinion was left incomplete due to the amp driving it. A Luxman 505u was used to drive the big Harbeth making them a little slow and soft. IMO more power and refinement is needed for the 40.1 The KEF I heard was the original 205 with the super tweeter. Let me just say it is one of the best box speakers i've heard. Maybe it was the magical synergy of the MAC 352 amp or the unknown(can't recall)cables? From what i've read the current 205/2 is not as amp or cable sensitive. I've heard several Spendor speakers but NOT the 100R2. What impressed me most with the various Spendor models was the "Quad" like tonality without the excessive warmth of some other British speakers. I would like to hear your comments regarding these iconic loudspeakers. As always I appreciate your comments.
Evan
dayglow

Showing 4 responses by dayglow

Garebear-Going from an Avalon to Harbeth must have been an adjustment! Did you feel you had the right amp synergy with the 40.1? The current Spendor 100R2 has won a "speaker of the year" award in Japan. The award might not mean much but i'm sure the current speaker is a solid improvement over the original SP100. Not so sure the KEF 205/2 is that easy to drive. Both the VA Imperial and ProAc D40R look interesting.
Were the 40.1's fully broke in? Some speakers need over 500 hours to be completely broke in. I believe the KEF 205/2 is in the 6th year of production, watch for closeout prices. Can the KEF 205/3 be to far off? Other speakers on my watch list...ATC SCM 40v2-Audio Physics Virgo 25-Elac FS249be-Focus Audio FP90se-JBL S3900-Marten Django L and the Thiel CS 2.7. The ATC is clearly the best bargain of the group retailing at $6k!
It would be very helpful and interesting if current/former owners could state the strengths and weaknesses of these 3 iconic speakers. I know your out there, please share your thoughts!
Dave72-Thx for the insight! Did the new ATC 40v2 have a slightly more "relaxed"(less worklike) character then the previous model? From what i've heard on Youtube(I know)the JBL S3900 seems very amp sensitive in the bass region regarding bass tightness, is this also true with the S4700?
Finally was Marten at the CES, and did you get a chance to hear the Django models?