Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic
Post removed 

@carlsbad2 Hi, no it’s Class A, NOT Class B. Maybe 95F rather than frying an egg on my output transformer of my Class A tube EAR 890s.

The Rei amplifier distinguishes itself through the implementation of WestminsterLab’s proprietary iBias and CCS systems, which have significant electronic implications. With these technologies, the Rei achieves a notably faster warm-up time compared to typical Class A amplifiers. The iBias technology dynamically adjusts the bias, taking into account the current and load of the amplifier.

This innovative approach enables the Rei to deliver the coveted benefits of Class A amplification without the typical drawbacks. Its ability to maintain optimal performance while mitigating issues associated with heat generation and power consumption makes the Rei truly exceptional. From the site Rei | WestminsterLab

I’ve heard these amps with my speakers and my EAR 912 pre-amp/VAC Reference pre-amp. Audiophiles are selling their SET to heavy duty Boulder/Gryphon amps for these amps. They run cool, lightweight, energy efficient for Class A and sound powerful. Superior sound and power but not as inexpensive as Class D amps.

One reviewer- Intelligent handling of the bias current results in an idle power consumption as low as 60 to 80 watts, and the heat sinks, which have been given their precise shape by finite element analysis, only get hand-warm even during listening sessions.

I intend to purchase a pair in the future but I just ordered the Lampizator Poseidon Pre-amp/DAC.  I am in no way affiliated with any brand other than being best friend of GroverHuffman cables as a beta tester.   

I’m not as experienced with amps as most on here, and I’m still lifting heavy shite, but…

I’m running a Rogue dragoN class D now and the sound is excellent with what I have feeding it.  I used to run a B&K (A/B?)which still sounds excellent.  I’ve also listened extensively to a D’Agostino momentum and I’m not the least bit dissatisfied with the dragoN.  FWIW

I too have heard (CAF) and touched these amps.  Amazing.  Westminster REI.  And I do not own them.

I’ve narrowed my choices down to three options

Keep the ABH2 and possibly add a second to go bridge mode. 

Bryston 4b3 - Will be auditioning on Monday

Accuphase P-4600 - Will be auditing on Wednesday  

If not much difference compared to what I have or not to my liking then option one at least for now