Grimm MU1 Streamer - Really "The Best"?

I've recently become interested in the Grimm MU1.  While reviews of top end players from Innuos, Aurender and Antipodes and others are typically all very positive, the tone of the many pro reviews of the Grimm MU1 go far, far beyond, with some reviews resorting to using superlatives and gushing of positive system transformation and not being able to stop listening to material, etc..  HiFi Advice and Steve Huff (actually calls it "magic") have such reviews.

Given the delay in availability of the Innuos Pulsar which I'm told will be better than my current Zenith Mk3 + PhoenixUSB reclocker, I am interested in replacing my streaming setup with a one-box solution that includes a high-precision clock.  The new streamer will continue to feed my Gryphon Diablo 300's DAC module, which I have no interest in replacing.

I'm actually a fan of Innuos, after they improved the sound of my Zenith with firmware updates and after I added their PhoenixUSB reclocker. I appreciate this commitment to improving sound quality which is why I was so interested in the Pulsar.

The trigger for considering an upgrade is not for improved sound, but rather, to solve some issues I have with too many Audioquest power cords coiled and clumped together. I will get to lose one of them and one of my USB cords with a one-box streamer. I've noticed my sound is very sensitive to positioning of my AC cords and find I often need to re-adjust the PC feeding my amp to get proper sounding vocals at center stage.  One of my subs also seems to be picking up AC noise when the crossover is set above 60Hz. The second trigger is simply system simplification, removing one box.  All that said I don't really have any complaints regarding sound, and the PhoenixUSB reclocker truly did improve the sound of my Zenith.

While the Grimm MU1 has it's 4X upsampling up it's sleeve with reviewers absolutely glowing over this feature and it's extreme ability to separate tones to the left, right, front, and back far better than the rest, I don't see that Grimm has gone to any lengths with regard to power supply management in the way other brands do including Innuos. The MU1's ultra-simplistic interior doesn't bug me, but the lack of transformers and power management makes me wonder....

Are there any updates from folks who have directly compared the MU1 vs similarly classed streamers from the competition?  Did you find it to be as revelatory as the pro reviewers found it? And, how does it compare to other streamers with it's 4X upsampling disabled?  Does it sound like it suffers from it's lack of power management?  I do see that the clock should be very good...

nyev

@jedclampet great to hear.  Currently flying home and get back late tonight.  Will be able to listen to my MU1 with my Tambaqui late tonight, as I purchased a basic AES cable while travelling (an older Cardas), while waiting for premium cables to arrive.  Will be listening to Tidal Streaming as I still have the hard disk issue that Grimm will get back to me on.

Why is it that so many MU1 owners end up pairing it with a Tambaqui (or vice versa)?  It it just due to precedent, that they are both Dutch, and have both had a common designer that had a hand in their design?  Or, does this pairing actually sound better than other alternatives?  For me it’s the former I suppose.

@thyname I see the network share option but do not know how to type it!

@nyev it either seems to be getting better or I seem to be appreciating it more!

@nyev Hi, this is a long thread so I didn’t read every post. I noticed you tried out an Arunder N20 recently that I am interested in. Which USB cable did you use to pair with it? Did you think the N20 is not as detailed as Innuos MK3 plus PhxNET? I have a Shunyata Omega USB that provides great details, and I think it maybe a good match with N20. Thanks!

@dchang05 I tried the N20 with an Audioquest Diamond USB and also a Diamond AES.  While the Omega is certainly better than the AQ Diamond, I would not expect the Omega to have more detail.  In the past (with my Innuos gear) I’ve tested a Nordost Valhalla 2 USB and found it to be better than the AQ Diamond, but it didn’t have any greater detail (but I didn’t think it was worth the cost).  The Diamond is known to be a revealing cable.

With that said the N20 had less high frequency detail and dimensionality than the Zenith and PhoenixUSB.  However, I’m starting to think my Innuos setup may achieve that be slightly boosting these frequencies or presenting them in a more forward way.  Either way, there were certain instruments, high hats etc that I heard loud and clear with my Innuos gear that was very difficult to hear with the Aurender.

I also noted above how Aurender says their AES interface will be better than their USB interface, due to the high precision clock that is only used with AES.  It’s stated right on the N20’s web page in the first feature bullet.  That said I could not reliably tell the difference when comparing the Diamond USB and AES cables.  I thought the AES sounded better, but if it was it was so close that I couldn’t be certain.

It is great to hear from the actual user’s point of view. Different users could have different experiences of course. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the MU1!