Going Tubing

Greetings!

I would like to introduce some tubes into my two channel set up.

I currently have a solid-state preamp and a solid-state power amp. (And a separate, hybrid tube phono stage.)

I am wondering, conceptually, staying with separates, if it would be better to switch the preamp to a tube preamp, or if it’s better to change the power ramp to a tube power amp. With “better” in this case I mean would have bigger impact on, for a lack of a better description, “tube sound.”

(I realize there are other considerations, such as having enough power to drive my speakers, but here I’m talking about conceptually, which part of these two audio chain components would have the most impact on the sound if switching one of them from ss to tube.)

128x128bimmerlover

@Bimmerlover

I have the cousin to your speakers, the Definitive Technology Mythos ST's with built in powered subs and drive them with my VAC PA 100 100 tube amp along with my ARC LS15 LS15 tube pre amp  I typically listen to music around 75db to 85db but trust me they can play much loader! I should mention the VAC has 2,4 & 8 ohm taps  Based on your Audiogon forum name you might like BMW's FYI I'm restoring a BMW 1973 2002tii  

Since I went with separates several years ago it has been a McIntosh C2700 (tubes) and MC611's (SS). It was like they were made for each other. I have been very pleased withe them. 

Given the impedance of your speakers as indicated by @soix  I would stick with your SS power amp and purchase a tube preamp.

Start on preamp first, Amp tubes need biasing their tubes if you end up buying non auto bias.