Going to Munich, what should I not miss seeing?

My wife, daughter and I are going to Munich for vacation this summer. We will be staying with relatives in Schliersee.

So- my German AudiogoN colleagues, what should I be sure to visit?
slipknot1

Showing 1 response by br3098

Munich in the summer is a fun place! Lots of things to do, don't need a car because of the excellent subway systems (S-bahn and U-bahn). There are a lot of cute but touristy things to do in or around the famous Marienplatz and the less famous Max-Joseph Platz. But, depending on where you stay, you can walk a great deal of Munich and have lots of fun.

Munich has all of the features of a big city in a digestable, small-city form factor. If you have the time, drive or take the train to Neuschwanstein, about 90 minutes away by car. Your kids will love it! Then have lunch in in nearby Fussen (sorry, there should be umlauts over the u in Fussen) overlooking the beautiful Lech River.

If you are a wine guy - unlike the U.S. and much of Europe, beer is relatively expensive in Germany and wine is cheap. There are some really good local German wines. Most winos know about the white wines from the Mosel region, but there are some very good local reds as well, especially from the Franconia region (often labeled as Frankenwein). There is a particularly good wine shop right off of the Marienplatz that specializes in local wines, and the proprietor loves providing tastings and an overview of the German wine culture. Just in case you are interested...