Going backwards: what speakers best match a pair of REL s/510s

I’ve recently purchased a pair of REL s/510 subs that are amazingly musical. They seem perfectly matched with my bookshelf speakers, the long-discontinued Platinum Reference 1 (specs: https://audio-database.com/PLATINUM/speaker/reference1-e.html; reviews: http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/platinum-audio/reference-i.html). But as we all know in this hobby perfect is never good enough. I am wondering if another matching might produce even more distinctive separation of instruments within a deep soundstage and the sense of live in-the-room performance that is produced by the pairing of the Platinums and RELs. Am I crazy, or is another level of nirvana reachable below the $15k/pair price point for the main speakers?

My system is McIntosh C2200/MC2102 tube pre/amp and MEN220 room correction with active crossover, Basis 2001 turntable with Hana ML cart (to be upgraded soon), Whest PS.40RDT phono stage, and Tara Labs Air cables and interconnects. The main speakers are 6' from the back wall, 3' from the side wall, in a 15 1/2' x 23' room with a vaunted ceiling that rises from 10 to 15'. 

vacountryboy

I would think that the TAD compact

evolution 1 would be a a great match.

Graham 8/1 would also work very well.

Be patient and enjoy your music.

Welcome.

I believe REL could answer your question best.

FYI, actual subwoofers can be adjusted to better match most any speaker. You should be able to obtain a satisfactory result with their help. Enjoy.

Before you do anything, make sure you’re using the high level input on the REL’s. That will give you by far the best integration. Then spend time moving them around until you have the cleanest bass output. Only then start to use the volume and cross over adjustments. You should be able to get perfect integration with the S510’s

Thank you all for the very thoughtful and helpful advice.

@needfreestuff I will definitely heed your advice to take my time to investigate main speakers that might be an even better match for the RELs. I have owned the Platinum speakers since before the turn of the century. I can certainly wait longer before considering another upgrade. You helped me realize that I should take the time needed to deeply consider what I enjoy from this pairing and, if anything, what I find lacking that an upgrade might improve. If it can be beat, from the reviews I read and listened to thanks to your recommendation, the TAD CE1 may be it, but I'll need to wait for a gently used one to fall into my budget. The Graham 8/1 had less reviews, but also seem a worthy consideration. Thanks again for making me aware of two options I had not previously come across in my preliminary investigations.

@m-db on your recommendation I contacted REL. They, and the McIntosh MEN220 forums on the web, provided recommendations that brought further depth, height, and punch to the soundstage. The Platinum speakers have improved by using the active crossover. Thank you for a suggestion that had great impact on my enjoyment of the now more finely integrated pairing.

@audiojan your recommendation prompted some further thinking on the MEN220 setup. Currently, I have the Platinum speakers connected to the high level input and the REL subs connected to the low level input. Am I correct in understanding that you were suggesting a different connection? I have moved the subs around and found a sweet spot that interestingly seems quite similar to a Youtube review of the TAD CE1 referenced above which also had a pair of s/510 subs in what looked to be the same locations as I found to be best. 

Thank you all for your advice. I am a newbie to posting on this forum. I am so glad that I took the plunge to seek out your wise counsel.

@vacountryboy yes, by far the best way to blend the RELs is to connect them via high level (the speakon connection on the REL side and the spades on the amp side). This way, the signal is identical between the speakers (from the amp) to the REL (from the same amp). It does make a big different in timing and impulse.