getting into streaming

So after many years of playing cd's, I'm considering getting into streaming music. I would prefer to use the DAC in my accuphase CD player; my question is I assume any streamer would require something additional to control it (smart phone, tablet etc) but I'm wondering if there is something out there that has its own controller to use to surf for songs, so I don't have to buy anything else to use it

gwng8

Like most threads here, everyone has their own sense of what constitutes a good piece of equipment. I believe that some of this involves personal taste, component synergy, and I suspect that it is mostly due to having heard few systems. The most important question are what is your budget and what components other than cd player are you using? Perhaps I missed your statement of budget, but considering that you are not looking to upgrade one of the most critical components, the DAC, I’m guessing that you want to keep costs down, in which case you have some excellent suggestions above. If you want to go to the next level then there are some members with extensive experience at various, including high levels of build. @ghdprentice above is in that category and probably others.

I’m not one of the experienced few, but over the last year I did cycle through various gear. I discovered that my sense of what sounded good and what I would recommend has changed as I discovered unexpected reproduction improvements. In my opinion general computers are not good streamers, but they do keep cost down. Roon is a widely used program for organizing stream content. You will then need a Roon subscription plus a subscription to a music service. Roon requires a Roon server and separate streamer, or a streamer with built in Roon server. I use an Aurender N20 streamer, which isn’t Roon based and uses the Aurender conductor app running on a mobile device, but it doesn’t require an external server. I still need a subscription music service. I have all of my CDs ripped and stored on my N20. The playback is, to me, phenomenal. So, consider buying used to maximize results. Also, this allows you to upgrade at a latter date without losing 50% of the new value.

You are me less than a year ago. I am very happy with a Bluesound Node hooked up to my tube integrated amp and I’m running Tidal. Unlike what most members have posted on this thread, I use my Samsung Galaxy S22+ cellphone to run Tidal and do searches, pick albums or artists, etc., and I have no problem or feel the need to use a tablet device. But that’s just personal preference -- the last thing I need is another device laying around for my Granddog to chew and eat...

Fwiw, I 100% agree with @moonwatcher here. I wanted to get a cheap streamer to get started (while I figured out what I wanted longer term). The WiiM mini has been excellent. Im using Qobuz hi-res using the optical out into my DAC and it’s great. 

I think my next purchase will be something in the the Innous range or an Auralic Auralic interests me because they prefer you to use Wi-Fi over Ethernet which is interesting. 

Easiest way to get started is to buy a Bluesound Vault. It is a High-Res 2TB Network Hard Drive CD Ripper and Streamer. Everything you need, and there are few if any better, more intuitive interfaces than BluOS.

I am in the same boat as the OP. For me it is either a new Bluesound Node 130 or a used Lumin D2. From everything I have read and absorbed it is really hard to out do the Node at $600, and you can always add a higher quality DAC and better power supply later. I also think that the BlueOS is about as easy to use and intuitive as anything else out there. I believe the Lumin would be a better sound, but it i hard wired only and the interface is less user friendly.