Getting good sound quality below 200Hz

I run open baffles with currently 15" Eminence Alpha bass drivers with their dedicated Rotel amp and crossed over at 200Hz with 24db slope.

This underpins the upper driver beautifully but by contrast if I play it on its own its not at all impressive, lacking primarily in both definition around the sounds and also impact.

My first question "is this typical of what sound is like below 200Hz"

Secondly looking to improve this should I concentrate on improving the 15"drivers or the amp?

Please don’t recommend a powered sub as I have one already which will eventually underpin the 15"drivers when I have that bit right.

Thanks

bumpy48

Showing 3 responses by erik_squires

The frequency response chart is from a test infinite baffle.  It is not as good an indicator as the response for the speaker in cabinets so please look at the fr in the PDF.

Having said that, the example cabinets say if you try to use this in the home you are going to need a lot of EQ to get to neutral, and that brings us back to measurements. This is a speaker with a lot of tone for stage performance.

OP:

Measurements are your friend here. :)  I encourage you to find a way either via Room EQ Wizard and a calibrated mic or otherwise to see what's going on.

This underpins the upper driver beautifully but by contrast if I play it on its own its not at all impressive,

What exactly does this mean?  You play the 15" without the mid/highs?

Get measurements.  What might be happening is that you have peaks which prevent you from turning them up high enough.  Try to get a descending slope from 20 Hz or so to 200.