Furutech GTX NCF receptical break in, how long

Bought NCF with 6 day burn from seller. I have it burning in last 5 days on 2 cheap power bars with old desk top towers, fans, TiVo box, home theater amps. My amp and Preamp, phono stage and CD player are all tube so I don't use them. Ran system on outlet tonight and no bass, bright, sounds bad. First day with outlet it sounded very nice. Any owners of rhodium outlets can tell me what I'm in for time wise, or what to expect sound wise in next couple weeks, thanks
paulcreed
serbinfan:
You are experiencing a problem with making three changes to your system at the same time. I would suggest removing the Furutech NCF from your audio circuit and putting in another circuit. At this location plug something into it that uses electricity nearly 24/7. That product needs 3 months to diminish the Rhodium harshness sound. Then put it back in your audio circuit. A week latter make a final decision.

You may like the gold outlet - NCF gold plug combination as much or better.
David Pritchard
Schizophrenic is the only way I can describe the NCF. There is no immediate gratification with this purchase. It's really a long bad ride but once it's over it was well worth the aggravation. I almost pulled it out of the wall and stuck it in a drawer so I could listen to music again. David is right if I had to do it again I would put it on the fridge/deep freezer and forget about it for a while.  I do think if it gets hit with quick draw of high current on and off it helps but 24/7 is a must. If you make it through the break in of NCF any other component breakin will be a breeze. I had to give it 7 to 8 weeks before it was okay to listen to music and improvement begins after that. The part that got me was the first few hours it sounded fantastic came back later and sounded like trash. I just moved recently and set my system up and it sounded okay, thought maybe everything just needed to settle in but then I remembered I forgot to install NCF. Stuck it in the wall and everything was right. I realized the NCF really does make a large improvement in my system. I also own the furutech gold and there is no comparison. Hang in there it gets better I promise.

Hey guys, just wanted to react to things that were said earlier.
A system can indeed sound better at night than during the day or better one day compared to another day quite significantly. 
This has to do with the power itself in your region and how people are using it at the listening moment. The more power is used by the population, the less you have for your hifi, that's really a fact.
Don't take my word, even in the 60's and 70's some recording engineers would prefer to record and mix-down at some moments during the week/day because they definitely heard a difference in the performance of all the analog gear involved.
So basically you take a winter Saturday evening with a football match on TV and also the Foo Fighters playing in a stadium in the next city, well be ready to hear a slight change in your Hifi system. Now you take a (I don't know I'm making it up) let's say a calm Tuesday in July at 22h, It should sound better because the power available to you is just better.
You will hear this effect especially with a high-quality and transparent system. I heard it here. Actually the most obvious is when my neighbours do washing machines, I slightly hear the noise itself cause its vibrating but I swear I'm missing punch and authority in the sound when they use it/them.
leolucchesi
A system can indeed sound better at night than during the day or better one day compared to another day quite significantly.This has to do with the power itself in your region and how people are using it at the listening moment. The more power is used by the population, the less you have for your hifi, that's really a fact.
It may be a fact in third-world or developing countries, but certainly not in any industrialized nation, unless there is something badly wrong with your local utility. There is plenty of power to supply everyone. Quantity isn't the problem.
Interesting thread! Thanks for posting your updates in the process.
I have a Furetech GTX-D-rhodium sitting in my drawer. It was in my wall for a while; Very similar experience. I just figured not a good fit, bad synergy, etc, so I swapped back to my glorified Hubbell /PS Audio and the immediate issues went away.
Maybe I should rig up a test fixture for the GTX and install it in about three months.

I have noticed system variability though, and chalk it up to grid; I’m an EE but my forte is PCB design for complex embedded systems; I recall the power factor topic in a power systems class. Someone please refresh me: does power factor at the load vary with changes on the line due to OTHER loads present on the line ( that can come and go analogous to wi-Fi devices coming on/off network) or is it totally dependent only on the loads complex relationship ( reactive behavior) with the immediate incoming power?
When my system goes through a period of “bass light” and lacking in its normal “punch” it feels like the amp is simply starved for current. This happens on the order of a few weeks give or take. I’ve noticed this phenomenon in every system I’ve ever put together in every location ( different houses); one time it was so bad ( at that time I had an Audio Research 100.2 amp) I thought the amp was seriously on the way out... but came back the next day and the music was back again. Bass authority, dynamic drive, and loss of presence, are the triad of characteristics that usually suffer most during these phases of audio life;
This leads me to believe that power factor fluctuations from other loads impinge onto the power amp and wreak havoc when non-ideal. The amplifier’s power supply component impedance has not changed( or does it vary???), nothing else moved, etc...
I have what appears to be, based on reviews and theory, an incoming power conditioner; a P.I. Audio Group UberBUSS; This device has power factor network...looking forward to hearing this in the system.
Cool thread!