Focal Sopra 2 vs Sopra 3?

Has anyone compared side by side? If so what were the differences?

tnx.
2bz

Showing 2 responses by ejr1953

I purchased a pair of Sopra No2's since they first came into the U.S.  I drive them with a McIntosh C2500 tube preamp and McIntosh MC452 power amp, what I auditioned them with before placing the order.

While I was waiting for the Sopra's to arrive I heard them being driven by an 80 watt integrated (can't remember which one) in a small room, and I didn't like the shrillness and lack of sound stage and impact.

Mine are in a 24x26 "man cave", with a pair of JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers, with 10 bass traps strategically installed (to combat the bass resonances the room produced).

After owning the Sopra's for about six months, they seemed to "relax" some.  I am completely satisfied with the setup and though I typically have the hots to listen to other components, this is not the case with the Sopra's.

I have no experience with the Sopra No3's, I believe they use the same tweeter and midrange, and a pair of larger woofers.  In either case, after you get them "dialed in" to the room and the other components, I suspect you'll be happy with either Sopra model!
cool_jeeves,
Interesting dilemma.  I have owned the No2's now for three years and have auditioned the No3's, and no matter what you decide, once you get these broken in, you will definitely enjoy your choice.
The only recommendation I'd have is to pair either of them with a smooth sounding amplifier.  That's what I have and I can listen for hours without fatigue.
Happy Listening!