Focal 948 vs. Klipsch Cornwall recommendations?

Hi (new here) - I’m in the process of updating some vintage gear to modern HiFi (no HT now) for a listening area that’s about 800 SF with 8’ ceilings and wood floors. I’m coming from a 1970’s SX-737 Pioneer Receiver paired with Klipsch KG4’s. I’ve since upgraded to a couple of NAD C 268 Amps and some other NAD components. I may upgrade components in the future but for now that’s what I have.

I’m trying to decide between the Focal 948’s or the Cornwalls. I guess since I like my KG4’s I’m a "horn guy" to some degree, but who knows at this stage in my journey because I have a ton of learning to do. I do not want to run a sub (have a seperate HT room for that), so this is a 2 channel hi-fi set up in a living room/great room. I tend to like "warmish" sound but realize the amp can greatly influence that. I like good tight bass, but don’t need or want a house shaking sub - needs to be balanced with the rest of the sound stage.

The sound is more important to me than how the speaker looks, but I am drawn towards a more classical speaker look like the Cornwall, however I find both of these speakers attractive. I have not listened to either speaker in person yet...the closest I’ve gotten is the speaker simulator on Crutchfield for the 948.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
dogarogaroo

Showing 1 response by mofojo

I have not heard that NAD but you may consider a tube preamp to pair with it like the Schiit Freya + although I haven’t heard it. I’ve found a tube pre does wonders for the dry mechanical sound of most affordable class D amps I’ve heard. 
I would think you want more power with the Focal or something that puts out a lot of current. Plenty for the Cornwall I would think.