First tube preamp recommendations (under $5k)

Right now have di20he -> terminator -> he9 -> pass x350.8 -> ATC scm7 / NS5000.
I am thinking of introducing some tubes into my chain. I like the sound I am getting but want to explore what tubes can do to the sound (slight warmth, biggest soundstage, better layering etc etc). Don’t want to go to nuts on price. If price is over $5k would consider if its really exceptional (but for sure not over $10k). Totally fine with used. Balanced would be nice but not mandatory.
So far I am thinking RP7, EVO400, bhk. Any thoughts?
smodtactical

Showing 4 responses by avanti1960

Owned the RP7, disappointing sound, did not respond well to tube swaps. Lacked dynamics and transparency. The RH 5 sounded so much better to my ears (yes, the R "H" 5 linestage.
Currently using a Cary SLP-05, sounds spell bindingly good.
Tube rectifier and R-Core transformer.  
Some I know have the Modwrights, they love them.  
@smodtactical   
The Cary SLP-05 is a smooth dynamic performer with a huge soundstage.  It tends to be "phatter" and bassier, I really love the sound.  The Rogue RH-5 is more neutral and transparent.  

@rmdmoore 
I owned the Rogue RH-5 before I bought the RP-7.  It was a direct comparison.  The RH-5 was significantly more dynamic and energetic and was more transparent than the RP-7, which was a disappointment.  
I love Rogue Audio and had a cronus magnum ii for years but I have to call them like I hear them.  

@decooney
I am using nos sylvania 6SN7 GTA from the 50's, not the vt231.  
Love the sound, these are reasonable and readily available.  
Even with the stock sovtek rectifier but the sound  did improve with a nos mullard rectifier.  
has anyone noticed the price of used Shindo preamps?  
not even close to the OPs budget- if you can find one.