Find the Problem

My analog front end isn’t as developed as my digital end, but I am just curious as to what members here would identify as the source of my issue, as I don’t wish to spend time and resources chasing after it.

To begin with, the analog source resides in a second system in my basement.  I won’t waste space detailing why.  Speakers are floorstanders with sub.  Silver line Panatellas with a Paradigm sub, specifically.  Amplification is 5.1 AVR by Anthem playing in 2 channel when I play analog.

Turntable is a newish (2 year old) Technics SL 1200 Direct Drive with an Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet cartridge.  Phono preamp is a Cambridge Audio that does moving magnet only.

The problem, which I’ve only recently noticed, is a hardening at extreme peaks, particularly in the treble.  Specifically, flutes and high strings during orchestral climaxes.  Otherwise I am very pleased with the sound.

This problem isn’t present with my digital sources (Pioneer Universal player, television, even Apple TV playing old compressed iTunes files) .

I suspect it’s either the cartridge or the preamp.  I realize this is a modest analog setup in comparison to what many have, but hey it can be fun to tweak a modest bit of kit

mahler123

Can we assume that the cartridge is also “newish”?  If so, and If you haven’t already, try increasing the tracking force to the upper end of the recommended range.  Of course, make sure the stylus is very clean.  Please report back.  Good luck. 

This problem isn’t present with my digital sources (Pioneer Universal player, television, even Apple TV playing old compressed iTunes files) .

Do you mean you don't have the issue on your main system, or that digital sources in the basement are unaffected? If the latter, we can rule out room effects.