Finally stepping into the hobby after 30 years of watching from the sidelines

Ok, so I hope you are all ok with a longwinded post from a first time user of the forum.  I have been obsessed with vinyl and tubes since my dad played records for me as a 5 year old.  My wife and I are finally in a place that we can take the leap into the scene.  We want to grow our system over time and may even create 2-3 systems along the way as we have a bed and breakfast where we want to make analog part of the theme. 

We have made up our mind that our first speakers will be Vandersteen 2CE sigs.  That is about as far as we have gotten.  We definitely want to power them with tubes and have very little idea of where to start.  Obviously the mainstream option would be a Mcintosh mc275 and our local HiFi salesman would LOVE to sell us a pair of those.  However, we know that there are several cheeper/better options out there and would love some input from the board.  We'd like to keep the first amp under $3,000, but we aren't locked into that.  Keep in mind that we are ok starting with a single amp and then adding a second one along the way to mono them.  Also, we would love some help with a table/arm/cartridge!  One with an integrated phono stage is fine to start with and we would again be open to upgrading and adding a stand alone phono stage later on.  

We will be doing some electrical work soon to run a 40 amp fuse to the BnBs espresso machine and would be open to setting up a dedicated line for our main system at that time so that we can have clean power.  Has any one had any experience with this?  Any ideas or recommendations that you may have would be a big help here! 

Thank you all in advance, and we are really excited to finally be part of the scene! 
128x128cottguy
Hello Inna. Yes, I did try theoretically optimal cabling in two controlled experiments, one for interconnect and one for speakers. By 'theoretically optimal' I mean derived from the solutions to Maxwells' Equations, with special care taken of impedances and dielectric absorption.

To my ears, differences were marginal, given a certain minimum level of quality - much more important was the ability of suboptimal cables to reduce high frequencies, leading to the taming of various types of distortion, such as that caused by incautious use of electrolytic caps in the signal path. See my remarks on the components which are connected by interconnect.

In my system, to my ears, a first rate microphone cable with ETI connectors is close to as good as it gets. For $50 each. Goertz speaker cable is as good as it gets, also in my opinion. For a few tens of bucks a foot. For the cost of 'serious' cabling, and a marginal improvement at best, I can make a serious improvement in several other areas: upgrade caps, upgrade resistors, redesign the phono stage, etc.

As for NAS turntables, we are in complete agreement - they are very good for the money.
Oops, new Nottingham Interspace with arm is $2500, that means that the used one's price is right if the condition is excellent and it doesn't have too many hours on it. It might be an older model, I am not sure.
have to chime in and agree with inna ,in my personal experience cables have made a drastic difference.do i need 5k for a pair? no not for my set up .But i can say i have some bucks in cables.From my tt to phono and to pre ,oh yes!.I run an intergrated to help with the cable issues.and the difference is most noticable. but i would not spend your money there anytime soon if it was me.get the vandys you desire then amp then tt (again a hot subject but get the best tt you can afford cart can be added and upgraded at any time  .jmo.
and for goodness sakes treat the room it will help your sound like a component upgrade..
inna ..i should have bought that dam vac lol
Oleschool, one day it will appear again, you can be prepared. And to make it easier for you - I am not going to hunt it down. Whatever I can afford or find, I will almost certainly concentrate on upgrading my pretty good SS phono to a great tube one.
Speaking of cables. I just got a cable to replace my excellent interconnect that runs from phono to the integrated. For the purpose of quicker breaking in process I put it on my Nak tape deck. I should've never done it, even new this cable sounds much better than the one I usually have there which is also pretty good. So now I will refuse to take this new cable from the deck and consequensially will need another same cable to finally put it on the phono stage ! Damn. But it can wait, no rush, I've got patience. In the end I'll have two great cables.