Fidelity Research cartridges

Any FR cartridge experts out there? Raul? Dertonarm? Syntax?
I have had an FR-7 which I bought a while ago. I tried it ever so briefly when I got it on an arm I now recognize as not being able to handle that weight (close, but no cigar). I just now pulled it out for kicks and after getting it adjusted with the big counterweight, I am VERY pleasantly surprised. Actually, I'm feeling kind of bubbly. It does not dig out the utmost in detail, but it just sounds very right.

Are there any other FR carts out there which are real steals if still in good condition? I know the MC-702 and the FR-1Mk2 and Mk3f by name, with good reps being assigned to the Mk3 and the MC-702. Given that the MC-702 and the FR-7 look quite similar, and they were offered at about the same time, what is different? And is the FR-7 just an integrated headshell version of the FR-1Mk3?
t_bone

Hi Chakster, Yes Axel retired and sold his ''shop'' to his assistent.

He got some curious illness (not a stroke) and lost command of

his left hand. But he was already around 70 so deserved retirement.

I moved to Expert Stylus in UK while British GBP lost value in

relation to euro like dollar deed (grin). Those who predicted the

end of euro are very silent now.

@nandric sad news about Axel, hope he’ll be ok

@rauliruegas exactly ("dead of alive", i like that), i have sold some very rare records to cover my expenses on those god damn cartridges, because so many people swear they are so good and i need to hear it myself.

The next quest is phono stage for them, still got my ZYX Pre-Preamp CPP-1 (headamp), but it was designed for 0.24 mV ZYX.

My Lundahl transformers in my WLM Phonata Reference MM/MC phono stage are not designed to handge so low output (but maybe i can just replace the transformers inside this stage myself). This product disappeared from the market before it was widely released, i got demo unit from the first run, because the WLM (Wien Loudspeaker Manufaktur) closed their business.

And my newest JLTi phono stage with high gain can handle 0.22mV but probably still need more gain for carts like Ortofon MC2000, FR-7f and Fidelity-Reasearch PMC-3. Maybe Joe Rassmusen of JLTi can modify his phono stage for more gain option...
just to give the former Nandric FR7F cartridge an ongoing history..., this cart is now playing (as part of my collection) on various Micro Seiki turntables, currently fitted into an Fr64s silver arm on a SX 8000 MKII turntable.   The second arm on the turntable is an Ikeda 407. Standard cartridge is the Ikeda 9 TS .
After having used the Ikeda KAI, I stayed with the 9TS to continue my search for the best cart in FR64s or the Ikeda 407.
Today I fitted a Koetsu Onyx Platinum into the Ikeda 407.(Yamamoto Titanium headshell and Titanium screws, Dereneville head shell mat and Ortofon LW 800s head shell wire)
I have to say, this Koetsu Onyx platinum is a really nice one :-)
Looking forward to try it out in the FR64s.
Juergen

phonopre: Kondo M7 / SPZ, Thoeress 
Pre: Air Tight ATE 2001amp: Air Tight ATM 211
speakers: Zingari Client Name Evo 1.5

@ausliebesurmuzik, please let me know what you think of the 407/Yamamoto/Koetsu combo.  I just received an HR-6s headshell and mounted a Koetsu RSP on an FR-64S.  I was interested because it is unclear to me how to fine adjust the zenith given the headshell’s fixed mounting holes. Luckily I can adjust my tonearms position relative to the spindle for overhang.

Dear chakster, I am not the right person to give you advice about

phono-pres but I own two highly regarded samples: Basis Exclusive

(gold) with battery power supplay and Klyne 7 PX 3.5 which is

praised even by Raul . That is to say one of the few next to his own

(grin). Considering your extended interest and not so extended

means I would recommend Klyne which can be obtained with

modest means. Typical pre for your experimetal nature because

the pre has 4 amplification stages (from 40 till 68 dB) as well

''high frequency contour'' by which each MC cart can be corrected

in its resonance region . Besides there are loading recommendatios

by which 47 K plays important role.

For this pre you should check regular the German HIFI market