Fantasy or reality? Inexpensive solid state preamps that get you 80% there?

Recently, I posted asking about solid state preamps in the $4k region. I got some really good suggestions. Much appreciated. I have that list saved in a folder and will consult it.

I'm still a bit shy about spending $4k. So, lately, I've found myself reading about Schiit Saga and Freya S preamps. Why? Well, the idea of a non-tube preamp still appeals to me but these are much, much less expensive. 

I'm wondering if anyone has done some comparing of Schiit's Saga and Freya solid state preamps? Have you tried either of these preamps and come to some conclusions about their sonic worth compared to other more expensive solid state preamps? Were they worth it? Were they just a waste of time for you?

In brief:

Schiit Saga S vs. Freya S?
Schiit Saga or Freya vs. more costly solid state preamps?

The ultimate reason for asking is that this is a hobby where it's easy to plunk down small amounts of money (relatively) thinking that one can get 80% of what they want only to find that there's really no free lunch. If that's the case, I'll just keep saving for something better (Pass, Ayre, etc.). If not, I might just try a Saga or Freya (or something else — Parasound used? Etc.)

128x128hilde45

Solid state preamps under $1K.

New:  Topping Pre90, Schiit Freya S (I have and like the Freya + but you said no tubes)

Used: Adcom GFP-750 — great preamp (I have one) by Nelson Pass that is either passive or active; Acurus RL11 or LS11 both punched well above their price point and are <$500; Forte Model 2

Audio Research SP-5 is the best solid state preamp I’ve heard, and they’re about a thousand now because of all the bad reviews, haha. I do run it through a tube power amp though, most people were probably running it in a full solid state system.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I've been listening to a very very good DIY preamp and it's not convincing me this is a path worth going too far with. At this point, I really want to try a very very very good SS preamp (maybe try one from TMR for a couple weeks) to really rule it in or out. OR get a cheap backup unit -- Topping or Schiit. Otherwise, the critical listening I've done lately says "don't bother."

@hilde45 Yes, if owning the same as  your two other preamps I couldn't see one using anything but a high end SS one as an alternative.