Experienced Maggie Lovers Please Advise

I have the itch to buy another set of Maggies (MG2s were my last set many years ago)  There are no stocking dealers near me (I'm told Magneplanar is leaning into  a made to order manufacturer) so I'm going on the advice of experienced fellow Maggie lovers.

I see reviews all over the place on LRS,  MG .7 and MG 1.7i. I see little on MG2.7i or x and and nothing on MG 3.7i or x.  My questions are these:

Have you ever listened to a set of MG 3.7i and if so did you have a chance to hear them compared to 2.7 or 1.7? Please share your experience. 

In your eye/ear witness opinion Is the X upgrade worth the bump in price? 

FWIW My nearest dealer said he'd give a full refund and pay return shipping if I wasn't satisficed after 30 days of ownership.  

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xyesiam_a_pirate

I've owned MG-Is and the original 2.7is; I had the 2.7is for five years before moving to a home that couldn't accommodate them and taking a different approach. The 2.7i in particular was an incredible speaker, very lifelike. I eventually settled on my grail speaker, Quad ESL63s, which I've had for 15 years.

We recently bought my son a system as a graduation present, and he chose the 1.7i. In that process we heard the whole line up to 3.7i, but this was before the new 2.7i came out, and before the x introduction. They're all great, in very similar ways. As you move up, you get better, fuller, more extended bass, although the fundamental character remains the same. As many have observed over the years, as you move up you also experience larger, if not better, images.

When I bought my 2.7s, the next one up was the 3.6i, and I listened extensively to both. I ultimately chose the 2.7s because I felt the bass was very close to the 3.6, but the overall presentation was more coherent, the speakers disappeared better and there was just music in front of me. That may be something they fixed in the 3.7i, and that may be even better in the 3.7x. That said, Jim Winey, the founder, did say the 2.7i was the best speaker they'd ever made, and at the time he said it I agreed.

I have the 37i and have also owned 1.7 and 1.7i as well as a friend bringing LRS over and as other have said bigger is definitely better, you get a better sound stage, more definition and cleaner sounding instruments and vocals . If you enjoy rock and music with deep bass a sub is a welcome addition.

I have always purchased gently used to get more for the dollar.

Agree that bigger is better, as long as your room is big enough...otherwise smaller can be better...LRS+ in a small room is awesome...agree that the 1.7i might be the best value...

I have what many would consider a small room 12 X 15 with my 3.7i and two subs and I'm glad I upgraded to the largest Maggie's I could afford.

I have a small acoustically treated room, 12x11x9 that I had a few speakers in, from monitors to a full-range speaker. I always needed the acoustic treatments with all the speakers including the LRS+. However, with the LRS+ I found that removing the absorption panels for the left and right first reflections improved the sound of the LRS+, without any negative issues.

My only complaint on the LRS+ is that it is not as detailed as some other speakers I have had in the same space with the same price point, ex KEF LS50 Meta. However, the LRS+ was better overall for what I like, a big soundstage with depth that I could overlook the less than great detail retrieval,

A new speaker from Magnepan seems to address my concerns.

MAGNEPAN .7X, Compared with LRS+ and More! (youtube.com)