Experience purchasing a used high-end cartridge

I am contemplating purchase of a used high-end cartridge with reportedly low hours. I found a thread from 2013 about this topic and am wondering if advances in online marketplaces have improved the experience or lowered the risk. I would like to hear from those who have purchased a used cartridge through Audiogon, US Audio Mart, or eBay within the last year. What was your experience? Would you do it again? Did you ever attempt to return the purchase and if so why and what happened? Listing of the seller would be greatly appreciated if willing to share.

vacountryboy

I’ve purchased a couple used cartridges. A Grado ReF Platinum was only $250. But I did acquire a Benz Ace SL for $650. The cartridge was sold by a dealer with a guarantee so truly no risk. I’d owned the cartridge some 12 years earlier and had been desiring another one. The cartridge is an exceptional moving coil, and impossible to find used anymore, which is why I paid more than I should have, but you can’t take it with you. 

I have sold several used cartridges over the years. I have also purchased several used cartridges. I agree that there is risk involved but not really any different than speakers of amplifiers. When a cartridge goes bad, there are a very limited number of things that can cause it and almost all of them are repairable.

When I sell, I will take many pictures to prove the authenticity and normal function  as best I can.  I also take USB microscope pictures of the stylus and cantilever. I like this information when I buy as well.  

I will take a cart back, no questions asked if the seller isn't satisfied.  After all, I know that the cartridge works great and why not keep it a little longer?