Experience purchasing a used high-end cartridge

I am contemplating purchase of a used high-end cartridge with reportedly low hours. I found a thread from 2013 about this topic and am wondering if advances in online marketplaces have improved the experience or lowered the risk. I would like to hear from those who have purchased a used cartridge through Audiogon, US Audio Mart, or eBay within the last year. What was your experience? Would you do it again? Did you ever attempt to return the purchase and if so why and what happened? Listing of the seller would be greatly appreciated if willing to share.

vacountryboy
Post removed 

I did a Orthofon Cadenza Black with less than 15 hrs. on it, for a 3rd of the price. 160 hrs. on it now & plays like a champ.

Having quite a few used cartridge purchases under my belt, I will chime in. I’ve only had one issue buying a used cartridge. It was an Ortofon Bronze that had a bad channel. Can’t remember if it was left or right. One side ohmed out properly. The other was open. The stylus looked great yet the cartridge itself was junk. Other than that. All other purchases were as described. 

Go with your gut feeling. If something seems off about the seller, walk. 

Run. 

Plenty of other people selling used cartridges that are above the board. 

I have bought and sold many used cartridges over the years. I agree with one of the poster that talked about getting it inspected.  I personally have never done that and have knock on wood not been screwed out of my funds.  Good luck with you cartridge purchase whether its new or used.

Thank you all for the well-considered advice. @neonknight I greatly appreciate your engaging narrative and wise advice. My takeaway from @wrm57 and many of the others is to assume a steep risk curve if seller reputation involves any ambiguity--as is the case here.

@lewm, I resonated fully with your remarks which I find equally edifying to those I’ve read when lurking on other threads. @ghdprentice, same for your comments -- fortunately for me, my teenage purchase of a four-year-old ’72 Olds Cutlass bought me many years of cruising (parking) fun--though I admit to only buying new cars ever since, hence my reticence about the used cart.

Daring to synthesize the remarks, the risk-benefit tradeoff shifts towards benefit if independent, highly-reputable inspection can be obtained before purchase. I will give that a go. If the seller refuses, as @lewm stated, I will have my answer.