Ethernet Switch- what's the point?

I run an Ethernet cable between my router (standard issue from Verizon) and my streaming transport. I note that some use an ethernet switch between between the router and streamer. Assuming I got that right, what is the point- what does a good switch do? I've been into audio since the 70's but when its comes to streaming, I'm definitely a newbie- 

Thanks all!

128x128zavato

Not really needed, but it can be a convenience feature. I have the Roon streamer, TV, Roku, etc. all 50’ away from my router, so the switch lets me run 1 cable (in-wall in this case) and hook up all my devices.

You'll never be able to convince me that an audiophile switch is worth it, but I do use an Ethernet isolator to reduce the chances of surges and induced noise.

https://amzn.to/42B5SCZ

@erik_squires 

I have a similar situation to you.

I assume you insert the Ethernet isolator after the  Ethernet switch in the cat 6 cable going to your streamer.

What isolator do you recommend, and should it be inserted nearer the switch, or nearer the router?

Hi @oldears - In my case due to the 50' run I'm more concerned with surge issues than noise.  The longer the Ethernet cable the more noise/chance of an EM induced surge pulse.  I put the isolator right before my home theater switch.

If I had more money I'd put one right before the streamer as well.

I do also run iFi power supplies for my streamer and DAC.