Estate sale Fuselier speakers for $370 but I know nothing about them.

So I found these four Fuselier speakers for $370 at an estate sale. They look amazing and from everything I've seen around this forum the creator seemed to know what he was doing.  But I'm just getting into this hobby and I've come across these and I have no clue as to whether they are any good or whether they even work. Any thoughts on how I should proceed or steps I should take? Or should I just buy them and hope for the best? 

Here is a photo of them: 

Thanks so much.  

thatguyyouknow

Showing 2 responses by ghasley

I’ll take the opposing position and recommend passing on these. The photo you provide indicates they need work. Potentially alot of work and not just on the drivers, but likely the crossovers as well.

You will need to spend a considerable amount of time and a not so insignificant amount of money before you can even determine what they sound like and whether you like that sound. Additionally, you will need to buy some electronics and interconnects and a source. I’m not even sure I would consider them at half the price or free. There are some pretty satisfying speakers available today that would likely be a much better investment. Additionally, since you have no other gear driving the decision, there are some nice speakers available today with built in amplification (Kanto Tuk, Vanatoo, even Kef LS50W) that you could conceivably drive with a personal computer, your television, via wifi or your iphone which would likely be a better investment for you than these.

@dill 

Quite true BUT…is there a link to “simply crossovers”…and then what will be the total investment required to then be able to demo the speakers PROVIDED the OP can get his hands on the electronics and the wire necessary to test them?

He would end up with between $800 to $1,000 invested in speakers alone with zero idea whether he would like them. I assume since he is shopping an estate sale and has no other gear that hifi may or may not be an investable endeavor for him.

Just offering a rational counterpoint. This way if the OP goes forward it would be eyes wide open.