Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

I would think high quality EQ would be very useful in this use case. Might sound more natural than compensating with a hearing aid. I admit to knowing more about EQ than hearing aids though!  I believe some hearing aids utilize digital EQ, if I’m not mistaken 

For sure you are right !

I will trust more analog EQ too than this panels behind my ears...These panels are like my wood foldable screen, a device i used in my room , i could not use it without a balance between absorption-reflection-and diffusion in the room and on the foldable  screen... ...

And hearing aids use digital EQ for creating tailor made hearing aids for specific frequencies loss...

Psychoacoustics rule audio in any form...

I would think high quality EQ would be very useful in this use case. Might sound more natural than compensating with a hearing aid. I admit to knowing more about EQ than hearing aids though!  I believe some hearing aids utilize digital EQ, if I’m not mistaken

I was/am interested in the McIntosh MQ112 equalizer.  I saw the Skifiaudio video on this unit and one thing that struck me was internally, the unit incorporates op-amps.

I was looking for a fully discrete unit without op-amps.  

I'm not sure about incorporating op-amps into my system.  According to the video interview, the unit was really intended for McIntosh owners that have older systems without equalizers or tone controls.

I'm still thinking about this one.

enjoy

@minorl   I went to Skyfi audio and purchased this a few months ago. I told him what I had in my audio system. My system is ARC Ref 750s mono blocks. ARC Ref 6SE. ARC Ref CD9. B&W Matrix 800s. Mac MQ112 eq. Straightwire Crescendo tri wired speaker cables and XLR interconnects. 4 Audioquest Dragon PCs. 2) HC and 2 Source. This Mac MQ 112 is phenomenal. It’s just exactly what I needed to tame the high frequencies and not so good cd recording. I can’t recommend this MQ 112 enough. It’s an awesome unit that also looks beautiful with all my ARC gear. That was also very important to me as I did not want anything industrial looking. With or without mounting brackets. 

Okay, that's a pretty darn good system.  

Thank you for the recommendation.  I was concerned with adding op-amps to the signal path, but hmmmmm, might be worth a try.  

Thanks much

enjoy