DVD player playing CD's

I want to get anyone’s opinions on using a High end DVD player to play High end CD audio? Any degration /loss of audio compared to a cd player. Maybe a Panasonic UB9000 or Sony X800 high end DVD player proposal??
mwasilow
Think of the price of a DVD player you're considering.  Now think of all the video circuitry going into it.  Now think of a similarly priced CD player, and think of what isn't included in it.

The best thing is to use the DVD player as a transport and get a DAC whose sound you really like.
This question is funny to me. Us as audiophiles are so concerned about making a mistake. The answer is No.. For the most part. Unless your concerned with the features a player may have, a carousel, anti-skip, resume, etc. The DVD player should be identical to a CD player in extracting the digital information from a disc and should therefore be an acoustically transparent medium.

The caveat is that you plan on using the digital audio out (toslink/coax) of the player in question and disable any digital DSP settings. Not all players DACs are created equal though. Unfortunately there are some very poor performing DACs a player might incorporate that may not be so, “acoustically transparent”.
Thanx for the answers. I have a UBP X800 Sony and is considered a great DVD reference player. I also recently purchased a Bifrost 2 and Freya+.  I just connected it up and am soo impressed but was wondering if a cd player without a DAC would sound any better...
Use it, and enjoy!

Use a couple pioneer dv players ourselves,...all sound great!

Use a McCormack udp, sounds fine as well.

Use it.

My last cd only player was the Yamaha cds300 I think, sounded amazingly open, and airy! It didn’t last and didn’t play a few CDs, for which I should of overlooked, as she was an amazing sounding player!

I do miss it, but the Pioneer dv-79 is one of the best players I’ve heard in a long time, great features and great sound.

My last 2 players I owned have long since gone, and I loved the moth!,! Onkyo dx-7500
Acurus ACD-11