Dual SVS Subs with Mcintosh C2500

What's the best way to connect C2500 preamp to dual SVS SB2000's subs?. There's 3 sets of balance outs. Balance out #1 & #2 goes to two MC501’s. The top unused main out (balance); should I use XLR to RCA splitters to the subs? or use RCA cables, main output #1 and #2, directly to the subs? What's the proper way?

roddyboy

I have dual subwoofers too. I learned that my Audio Research preamp, while having 3 sets of Main Outputs both RCA and XLR, has a minimum input impedance requirement of 20 kOhms. Since the SVS subs have an input impedance of 22 kOhms and my Pass Labs amps also have 22 kOhms impedance that puts a load on my preamp mains at < 10 kOhms. This can impact the quality of the sound of the preamp. I also believe it puts a strain on the power supply of my preamp- specifically the 6550 power supply tube.

Check to see the minimum input impedance requirement of your C2500 and also the input impedances of your MC501s. Each amp/sub is in parallel so the impedance is the sum of the reciprocals. (1/Z1+1/Z2=1/Ztotal)

My solution was to add an op amp in the subwoofer lines. The op amp has a 100 kOhm balanced input impedance so in parallel with my Pass Labs amp the load on my preamp is now 18 kOhms. This is within an acceptable margin for my preamp. And since the op amp is working in the limited bandwidth of my subs I detected no degradation in sound quality. Of course this op amp is rated for the full audio bandwidth.

Of course you can put the subs in series with your amps.  That is the simplest way.  The SVS subs accommodate pass through of the signal.  I chose not to go that route because I already had 5 meter cable runs from my preamp to amps.  That solution would have cost me $$$$ to replace those cables since they could not reach my subs and would have been much too long to go between my subs and amps.  

There is no one proper way, but I would just use splitters out of the preamp to feed the subs. Left and Right channel. 

So in layman terms, use the unused Main balance. This means use the XLR/ RCA splitter to subs?! Below is input impedance specs for preamp and amp..

Preamp shows; Input Impedance- High Level, 22K ohms unbalanced / 44k ohms balanced

Amp; Input Impedance- 10,000 ohms Unbalanced Inputs / 20,000 ohms Balanced Inputs

The only issue I've had was to many splitters on the same output. I use a Cary SLP-05, C2500 and a C22 (vintage). The C2500 (with some sub plates) the signal is to weak to run multi signals on the RCA side of the C2500. The XLR side of the same output didn't suffer the same affect that the RCA did. I used all 6 XLR outputs and the unswitched pair went into a bass management system. It contoured 280hz and below with two column of 8" drivers (16 total) and 4 double servo units. 

I recommend  using a left and right signal from the preamp too. Not just 1/2 of the signal. The bass is laid down in stereo and sometime stereo + (they will image a center channel from 100-300hz). Below 60-80hz  the signal is in stereo though it produces a omni perception of MONO. It's not, but for all intents and to simplify it, our brain says "everywhere". The schematics say otherwise..

The C2500 has adjustable gain on the line in. It's to contour the loudness (gain) between sources. I'm not sure on the output except in HT bypass it is set to a certain gain..

Use your Main balance output to your MC 501s, use output 1 & 2 for your subs.  Make sure to use the R channel of output 1 & 2 interconnects for your right sub and do the same for the left,  I use this configuration with my 2 JL Audio E112 subs using a Mac C50 preamp sounds fantastic.

Wow, that's new news to me Synergy! I'm gonna give it a try! I just ordered my cables and hopefully it works exactly as you described. Can't wait! 

Hello,

Wanted to bring this one back up as I'm adding a second sub to my 2-channel system.

Preamp is a McIntosh C2600.

Subwoofers: REL S/2

While running only one subwoofer,  I used both the let & right RCA outputs from the "Output 1" of the C2600 to the inputs of the S/2.

I'm now adding a second REL S/2 subwoofer and wanted to know if I should duplicate the above configuration for the second subwoofer using the "Output 2"  of the C2600. 

Or should I use the Left RCA output of "Output 1" for the left-hand side subwoofer and use the Right RCA output of the "Output 1" for the right-hand subwoofer.

Adding to this, would I be in a better position to use XLR cables for signal to the subwoofers?  And in similar connection configuration?

I appreciate any advice, guidance, and experiences you can share.