Don’t buy used McCormack DNA 1990s amps

This is a public service announcement.  There are some yahoos on other sites selling 1990s McCormack DNA amps, sometimes at ridiculous prices.  While they’re great amps, and I happily owned a DNA 0.5 RevA for 20 years, they’re all gonna fatally fail.  Why?  Because their input board is at the end of its useful life, and when it fails your amp is dead and not repairable by anyone — not even SMcAudio.  It’s a boat anchor.  The only option is to sell it for scraps or get an SMcAudio upgrade that’ll cost around $2000.  Given my love of my amp I chose to do full upgrades given what else I could’ve gotten for the same same price and just got it back and will forward thoughts if anyone cares.  But the purpose of this post is to warn off any prospective buyers of a circa 1990s DNA amp that it’ll fatally fail soon, so unless you get a great price and plan on doing the SMcAudio upgrades just avoid these amps on the used market.  You’ve been warned. 

soix

Showing 5 responses by audphile1

@nymarty I would direct the funds towards a purchase of a new amp and noy have the old DNA modded. 

@soix looks like you’ve taken on a function of being a proxy for SMc Audio to deliver a message of vested interest. No one can possibly predict when the amplifier is going to fail and I don’t recall reading much about these amps becoming boat anchors all of a sudden. 

I’ve owned DNA-0.5, DNA-125 (a good step up over the original 0.5) and the DNA-225 (amazing amplifier, one of my favorites in its stock form even to this day) that I decided to send in for a Gold revision which was a big mistake. The sonic signature changes that occurred with the revision made the amplifier pretty much go from a jaw dropping performance to being unlistenable in my system. And yes I gave it all the break in it needed. This was back in 2006 and around the time I sold that amp the revised McCormack amps would pop up on the market quiet frequently. I also saw “my” DNA-225 come up on audiogon classifieds at least 3 times (could be more but I as well as my audio buddies just stopped paying attention to McCormack amps). 

I believe you guys are making assumptions based on facts not in evidence and unfairly casting SMc Audio in a negative light.

@mitch2 

I respectfully disagree. I think Steve is a brilliant designer and I stated my admiration for his amplifiers (sans the modded 225).

However, the manner in which the information here and in another post was delivered and broadcasted by @soix who apparently had more than one conversation with Steve/SMc Audio and in one way or another was given explicit or implicit consent to go on with it, led me to think there’s vested interested involved. I am not accusing anyone of trying to run a business and make a living. But I do have a problem with the nature of OP’s two threads (one targeting specific classified was already removed).

@mitch2 that’s my point exactly. This thread is a gross exaggeration of an issue that may or may not happen. Contrary to the possible intent, it does no one any favors.

@soix Didn’t imply that you started the thread to profit. If you read my response and interpreted it as such, you misunderstood my post. 

@davidbeagrace I recently tried a Simaudio Moon 330a. Thinking it will be a very nice match with your harbeths. Used can be found around $2500. Not discouraging you with McCormack. Just another option that may work just as good or better.