Don Sachs Owners Thread

A place to discuss amps, preamps, and phono stages from Don Sachs. 

I just purchased a like new D2 linestage. It has 2 gain controls, 64 step volume control, and digital volume readout. It is set up for the new rectifier. This is my first 6sn7 based linestage. It came with Ken-Rad Vt 231and gray RCA tubes. There are 3 rectifier tubes. A huge Philco 6BY5G, a Tung-Sol 6BY5G, and a Bendix 5852. There is also an Ice Age Audio power cord. With 2 different sounding outputs there are a lot of options. I need to find out what value the output caps are. I have the D2 connected at the moment to a VTL ST150. Input impedance is 125K and 2v in for maximum gain. 

I placed the RCA tubes in left front and rear and Ken-Rad in the right. Used Philco rectifier. Plugged VTL amp into output 1. The brightest sounding preamp I've ever heard. It was comical, bass drums sounded more like cymbals. Output 2 sounds like normal music. This surprises me. With 125K input, I thought there would be no problem getting bass response. 

Some questions.

1. Are the 6Sn7's in the right locations? I guessed by looking at the sellers photograph.

2. Is the Ice Age Audio the AC cord the brand Don offers as an option? 

3. I'll audition all 3 but which rectifier would be considered tops?

The linestage sounds amazing. 

Thanks,

aldnorab

aldnorab

Hello All!

Curious....any DS II owners experimenting with footers?  Don's cases are all wood, including the bottom cover.  On my pre's I have always used 3" maple platforms and Symposium Acoustics Svelte Shelf Plus.  Typically footers have been Stillpoint Ultras but pretty sure the wood to Stillpoint interface isn't very good so switched to Symposium Rollerblock Jrs.  Seems to work better but I seem to be running into a rash of microphonic tubes, both in the 6SN7 positions and the rectifier, which in my model is 5U4G, 5AR4 or the NOS Winged C 5C3S that Don supplied....a very good rectifier BTW.  Just wondering if the footers are actually amplifying the vibrations rather than dampening them.  Any other owners experimenting with footers?  

Another subject.....I just replaced a McIntosh MC275VI Tube amp which worked very well with the DS II, with a Pass Labs XA25....another stellar match.  Speakers are modded Cornwall IV's.

Thanks All!

@ptrck887 , I have my unit sitting on a 2’’ maple platform & tried many different materials & Panega heavy feet that made a huge difference in PRAT with my unit. I’m also trying some Maple Shades heavy feet on top, but don’t hear any improvement in sound.

@ptrck887 I tried the SVS footers which good results with the DS preamp.

I've unfortunately am moving from the DS preamp.  It's a great tube preamp which I enjoyed and gave me a good introdution what a tube pre could sound in my setup.  With my new NSMT 100 speakers, the sound just sounded to colored with the DS.  I did try a more neutral sounding tube like Sylvania but then things became a bit too analytical for me.  Couldn't find a middle ground with the tubes I had on hand so I decided to try my Placette passive again.  The neutrality of the Placette brought back the balance I was looking for when I had the DS preamp and my Maggie 1.6's.  

Things have been hectic for me lately and hope to put the DS up 4sale in the near future. Keeping holding on that I may switch back to the DS but at this point seem unlikely.  Even my wife agrees she really likes the current setup.

The DS Valhalla and Kootenai are hidden gems. I didn’t design them, that’s all on Don, but Spatial is selling them at very fair prices, considering what’s inside ... point-to-point wiring, high-end caps, a classic circuit, and an all-octal tube lineup.

Yes, I've owned a DS preamp too. That's how I met Don, and things went from there.