Does Every Track Sound Great on Your System?

How do you know if it is the recording or your system?

By way of example with a focus on bass, for some songs I like the amount of bass, then another song I feel like it needs more bass to hit harder, and then another song I feel like there is too much bass and it is boomy. Does that ever happen to you? I feel like I am getting the treble sorted out, but going back and forth on the bass.

Can anyone listen to the first 20 second of the song Temptation by Diana Krall from the Girl In The Other Room album and let me know if there is a bass component that is a bit much? The vocals sound good so no issue there.

Thanks.

12many

This is why I think that after you've put together a quality system, it then all comes down to the quality of the recording and its mastering. At this point, I'm buying good stuff, such as Mofi SACDs, AW XRCD24s, BN 85s, and AP SACDs. It makes a world of difference in the listening experience.

Have many old CDs. Thrash.  Production in early -late 80’s, depended on the man behind the mixing board, the producer, etc etc.  

a lot sound like banging a metal spoon on a trash lid. 
I run through audiolab 3.0 add low end, some thicker mids,   It’s fine either way. 

yes some sound amazing, some sound like Mercyful fate will demo tape. 

Well there are a couple ways to design and calibrate a system to achieve the sound you want. Sure there are some people who just want everything to sound great and enjoy the music, which is fine just understand you should not ever evaluate recordings and system components as your system is not tuned to hear music how it really sounds. A system that is tuned more faithfully to music should allow you to hear all the subtle differences in recordings. The greater the differences in bass midrange and treble is absolutely a more honest and faithful reproduction of music. There are vast differences in recordings and should hear that if you’re wanting to evaluate recordings and equipment.