Does anyone care to ask an amplifier designer a technical question? My door is open.

I closed the cable and fuse thread because the trolls were making a mess of things. I hope they dont find me here.

I design Tube and Solid State power amps and preamps for Music Reference. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, have trained my ears keenly to hear frequency response differences, distortion and pretty good at guessing SPL. Ive spent 40 years doing that as a tech, store owner, and designer.
Perhaps someone would like to ask a question about how one designs a successfull amplifier? What determines damping factor and what damping factor does besides damping the woofer. There is an entirely different, I feel better way to look at damping and call it Regulation , which is 1/damping.

I like to tell true stories of my experience with others in this industry.

I have started a school which you can visit at http://berkeleyhifischool.com/ There you can see some of my presentations.

On YouTube go to the Music Reference channel to see how to design and build your own tube linestage. The series has over 200,000 views. You have to hit the video tab to see all.

I am not here to advertise for MR. Soon I will be making and posting more videos on YouTube. I don’t make any money off the videos, I just want to share knowledge and I hope others will share knowledge. Asking a good question is actually a display of your knowledge because you know enough to formulate a decent question.

Starting in January I plan to make these videos and post them on the HiFi school site and hosted on a new YouTube channel belonging to the school.

128x128ramtubes
@analogluvr  Over voltage can cause mechanical hum in a transformer

Thanks for pointing that out. The flux (and thus mechanical buzz) of a transformer rises sharply at some voltage. That point is up to the designer. I try to get mine still quiet at 130 Volts but we are getting up to 125 now in our houses so might have to go higher and wind for 125 rather than 120. 

Small amounts of DC on the line make things worse expecially with torroids as they have no gap. 0,5 volts of DC is enough. We make a power cord with a device to block the DC. Ask Clio, or you can make your own. Im not trying to sell anything here or be accused by one who does. 

Power transformers are a pain in the ass. If you make them bigger to reduce the flux they make more noise due to larger size. Ive been around the block several times on this. All our tranformers are silent at 2 feet in a very quiet room. My thought is if you cant hear it at the listening position whats the problem? Who sits next to their power amp? If you want someting lower noise I can make it for you. 

Power transformers can become noisy with age. Spongy feet or a bed of sand helps a lot to decouple from the rack or floor. 
@iamisaf When units are powered on I hear a very mild hum noise from the amplifier unit, if connect amplifier directly to the wall outlet I don't hear any hum noise. If I do the similar setup other side in the basement I don't hear any hum when connected to wall outlet or thru panamax power conditioner.What might be the issue?

The two sides of the basement may be on opposite phases of your 120/240 line. Houses are wired to try to balance the load on each phase. One phase may have DC or slightly higher voltage. Why are you using a power conditioner anyway. I dont.

Sorry to say this is a horrible product. Anytime they bring all you phone, cable, power, God whatever into one box its a horrible idea. If you can send it back please do. Modern devices generally do not need surge protectors and they tend to catch on fire!!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_299M5300PM/Panamax-M5300-PM.html?awkw=75647650225&awat=pla&awn...
Hi there would appreciate some help, I am shipping my Macintosh intergrated amp 200watt plus my def tech bp7000 sc to Thailand to live with me ? Very dodgy mains power !!! I am toying with the idea of ups or stabilizer or whatever , for some protection ? Against voltage drop . The def techs have 1800 watt driven subwoofers x2 of course ? I know that the equipment will never be driven at capacity, as house would fall in , your thoughts on a possible soloution,,, thank you : skiramp

@ramtubes

I could really use some help betting a better grasp of amplifier/speaker interaction. Specifically, in what sense a speaker is "easy to drive" for an amplifier.

This seems to generally relate to two parameters:

1. Speaker sensitivity
2. Speaker impedance (and phase angles etc).

I’ve seen speakers with higher sensitivity but lower or wilder impedance termed "easy to drive" and speakers with lowish sensitivity but higher and smoother impedance being "easy to drive." So I’m trying to get a grasp on what it means...in practical and possibly sonic terms...when a speaker is "easy to drive"for an amplifier and what you get when trading off sensitivity vs smooth impedance.

To turn it in to a practical example:

I owned the Thiel 3.7 speakers. Here are the Stereophile measurements:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/thiel-cs37-loudspeaker-measurements

Note the 90.7dB sensitivity, but with it seems a fairly challenging impedance.

Then take the Joseph Audio Perspective speakers (a speaker I’m considering):

https://www.stereophile.com/content/joseph-audio-perspective-loudspeaker-measurements

JA measured a low 84dB sensitivity but with a higher/smoother impedance he deemed them "a very easy load for the partnering amplifier to drive."

So I’m trying to understand the practical/sonic consequences - higher sensitivity, vs lower sensitivity but an easier impedance load. What does this mean for the power requirements, or type of power for each?

I have Conrad Johnson 140Wside tube monoblocks

https://www.stereophile.com/content/conrad-johnson-premier-twelve-monoblock-amplifier-measurements

And I’m wondering which of those speakers would be "easier to drive" with the CJ amps, why, and in what sense.

(FWIW: the CJ amps seemed to drive my Thiel 3.7s great: tight, non-flabby base, etc).

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart!

ramtubes - So, you don't believe power cables make a difference other than connectors and isolation transformers are worthless?  Is that correct?