Does a turntable make a DRAMATIC difference?

I purchased some analog gear in the hopes of making my analog side (a Sutherland 20 20 phono preamplifier and a Hana ML cartridge) at least the equal of my digital side. Although it has markedly improved the sound of my records it has not equaled the SQ of my digital sources. I know my turntable ( a heavily modified Rega RP3 with two power supplies and many other internal tweaks) is the weakest link. My question is, will a new improved turntable make a MAJOR difference, or just incrementally improve the sound. Or do I have to spend major bucks to achieve what I want.

128x128rvpiano

Showing 1 response by livin_262002

@rvpiano The one limitation with Rega table/arm is fixed VTA.. When I replaced a worn out shelter 501 with Ortofon Quintet black on my RP6 I was very disappointed with the sound and was not hearing anything that glowing reviews said about quintet black. Ortofon being much taller than shelter was the problem. I had to raise the arm base by almost 5mm to get it sound better but still not the sound I was used to with Shelter. Once I replaced RB303 with Audiomods Series VI arm with micrometer, quintet came to life. It sounds excellent now. The only other mod done to the table was replacing stock subplatter with groovetracer.

As other have said, isolation/leveling is extremely critical. Regas don't like sitting on heavy  platforms.