Do I really need a preamp?

I am considering another preamp to go with my CJ 2200. Am thinking about a CJ pre to go with it. However since my main source for listening is a cd player which has variable output, why do I need a good preamp. I have an Adcom GTP 450 tuner/preamp which will do the job for radio, tapes, etc. That said, how can I run cd and pre into the amp? As always, your help is appreciated.
128x128artemus_5
I don't recommend using the variable output of a CD player. I tried this with my $2,000 Sony ES player. The sound did not congeal well, the image being tall & illdefined & the sound somewhat transistory & harsh. When I connect the fixed outputs through my tube preamp, the sound is much more coherent, clean & focused. Using a passive control unit might be a different story, although I wonder if some of the same problems may still be present. A number of authorities believe running passive creates other problems.
Try the Mod Squad Line Drive. It's called a passive preamp but it's really a quality-switching device. It gives all the versatility of a preamp but without the gain/color. They can be found on the used market for $100. to $150.
hello artimus i am not an audiophile yet,but i hope my 2cents helps i too have an adcom pre(565) It has been sitting un pluged for 3 years.keep trying to put it back into the systum for audio,565 just removes detail&life fromthe music.am using a denon 1520 direct into adcom454.the denon has a varible out,staight out,andoptic out ,would alow hookup to more than one power amp.
tried agolden sep in system,bb king& organ ,wonderful.santana,ihad to look at lable to see who it was.
I had a Wadia 850 running straight to a BAT VK60 amp. It was awesome...until I tried a BAT vk50se preamp. For the money, the Wadia direct couldn't be touched. But, the BAT preamp too was a huge upgrade. IMHO, a preamp is a must when funds allow it...
OK boys and girls, you,ve made a believer out of me. Actually I thought I knew the answer already but wanted to check with others before making a final descision. I had tried both ways but a faulty cable had caused some intermintent problems that were hard to track down. I have decided to go for the Conrad Johnson PFR pre. My wife is so impressed with the CJ MF2200 that she has almost given me the green light. Life is good!