Do I have to use a streamer/renderer to play music from an NAS?

I apologize for the basic question. But, I can’t seem to find an answer online. I would like to put all my CDs on an NAS and play that music through my system. I have a Rotel RC/RB-1590 set up. I know some NAS boxes come with DLNA software installed, and I am looking at Synology because I read their software for finding and selecting music to play is pretty good. Eventually, I will probably end up with something like a Cambridge Audio CXN or 851N to stream tidal and digital radio, as well as the music on the NAS. But, do I have to have the Cambridge or some other device to just play the digital music from the NAS to start? I would like to do the purchases in steps so I can get better units as I can afford them.  Also, any advice on alternative solutions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
kumakahn
I have also a Synology NAS, an he is wirelessly connected to my Logitech Squeezebox Touch ( little, but very good) and this is digitally connected to the DAC of the Luxman D06. On the Pc.,i use the app. IPeng. (To save the music). Along my iPad,i can play my recorded music.
to Steve:
Why do you advise against *lossless* formats like FLAC/ALAC?

They are, after all, lossless, and after reconstruction are identical to RAW. And, I have compared and heard absolutely no difference. I admit i have not compared many times or particularly carefully since (danger will robinson!) i knew what the result would be :-)

No, on low powered computers or slow disks i could see it causing more power noise or even jitter/errors, but that would show up.
On re-reading your post i wonder if there is a subtlety in it, you actually say "avoid ripping to ALAC or compressed file using itunes". Is itunes somehow the problem(how?) or ALAC, which, after all, is lossless (mostly DPCM)??  TIA

I really appreciate the kind respnses. I am still a little confused.  Lukaske, it seemed from your response that your NAS is connected wirelessly to a Squeezebox, which I assume functions like a tablet, and that the NAS is then connected to your DAC, with no other renderer.  Is that correct?  If so, which Synology do you use? That is how I am considering setting up mine for now, adding a good streamer/renderer as I save up more money.
kumakahn the Squeezebox is a streamer/renderer it sends the digital signal to the Dac. That is how most streamers work I have an Auralic Aries Mini my Synology 214-play is connected to my modem/router and communicates wirelessly with the Mini.
Picking up on the last response about streamers - read my post again. **something** needs to present you a UI, identify the files locally or on a network, and send it to the appropriate digital interface, somewhere on the other end will eb the DAC (depending on the interface).
The streamer may reside on the NAS in some cases. IMO, not a great idea.  It can reside on the networked device. or it can be a stand-alone box like a ROOM server or BlueSound streamer. But it must be somewhere.  A "head end" streamer has the advantage of using many source file locations and feeding many end points.
G