Do different speaker stands can really make a big sound improvement?

I am looking for stands for my new Harbeth P3ESR XD speakers and wonder how much improvement one can actually hear between close to a $1000 stands and a $100 one filled with sand?

ahal1

I really REALLY didn’t want speaker stands to make a difference. I am in the business of demoing speakers for studios and such so I need to know as studios (like users at home) use all kinds of crazy things to put speakers on. Cardboard boxes, wooden crates, plastic bins, thin metal plant stands from Target, you name it. Well after years of trying to disprove it, Ive given up. It’s one of the biggest variables in the demo. You need high mass under a stand to get it to sound its best. I then went after Sound Anchor to use and rep in the US because that’ the only one Ive found universally works. I wish it wasn’t so.

It isn’t hard to hear, but it is hard to set up a good comparison of removing all variables other than the stands. You need a large room, plenty of space to put both stands in exactly the same spot. But there is a significant difference in bass, imaging, etc between a a high mass stand and low mass one. My experiments have left me with the clear result that the stand matters more than the spikes or what comes between the stand and the floor. It’s not that these other things don’t matter, they do, it’s just the stand itself matters more.

There are ways around it, I know a mastering engineer who does very high level work that built a large wooden box (same dimensions as the speaker itself in width) to get the speakers up to the ear level height and then filled it with play sand. That box is unmovable now and probably weighs 500 pounds. Sounds extremely good in his room.

I can attest to an audible improvement with my HL5+XD’s when I replaced my height appropriate but “massy” stands with the TonTragger recommended option. I wouldn’t say the same about more typical rigid speakers I’ve used previously. Cost was about $750 CAN extra used and well worth it to me. 

Absolutely they can; some stands are necessary for some standmount speakers to sound their best. I had those kinds of stands for Harbeths, but I sold both Harbeths and their stands as they were not giving me the kind of sound I prefer.... 

roadcykler,

If you think speaker stands and cables make no difference you really need to get your ears checked because the Townshend podiums make such a huge difference because they stop all vibration from going into the speaker, It's like you upgraded to more expensive electronics and the same with cables, OCC single crystal is the best conductor for audio and it's been proven for over 50 years, far superior to anything cheap OFC.