Distorted 24-bit/192kHz PCM using iFi Zen One Signature DAC?

Anyone with this DAC get a chance to play 24-bit/192kHz though the Toslink input?  I'm getting distortion despite playing fine through the coaxial input.  If I use the same Toslink cable and player to another DAC, the sound is fine.  

Thanks.

atp001

Usually happens if the incoming sample rate is not being locked on or inappropriate for the connection. Check exactly what you are sending, both sample rate (44, 96, etc) and bit (16, 24, 32).

One of two things: You are sending it a signal it’s not able to receive on that input, or it’s not locking onto it correctly.

Keep in mind that S/PDIF standard I believe doesn’t do 192/24 on coaxial, but many DAC makers have extended it. Check your iFi’s specs.

@erik_squires  This DAC is definitely spec'ed to receive 24/192 over Toslink.  I just finished troubleshooting the issue with iFi with no success, but as you mentioned, the Toslink standard wasn't originally designed to support 24/192.  Hence I'm wondering if others with this DAC are also experiencing this problem or if it is in fact my unit that is defective.  Other formats up to 24/96 play fine over the Toslink.  24/192 also plays fine over the coaxial input.

@atp001 

AES3 calls for 192 frames per block and 24 bit is fully supported so unless there is a hardware issue you shouldn’t be having problems. Since you had no problems using same cable on another dac I’d suspect it’s an issue within the Zen One. if trying a different Toslink cable doesn’t solve the issue I would send it back and exchange on a new one.

Does anybody know if the Zen Stream can output over SPDIF DoP in 24/96 format? My DAC accepts max 24/96 and need to listen to my DSD files on external SS drives.

Thanks.

I don't know about the Zen Stream, but to address my original post, iFi did eventually confirm that 24/192 is not supported on Toslink.  They were gracious enough to compensate me for not being fully transparent in their product specifications.