Digital Audio Output Differences? Is USB Audio Really The Top-notch?

Hello guys,

So after some struggles between spending time in optimizing my PC audio functionalities and adopting a dedicated music streamer, I opted for the second one.
I purchased the Munich M1T by Silent Angel, given it’s good reviews in UK and Germany and Switzerland, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot, but frankly speaking, the mainly reason was because the price fits my wallet more hahahah...

Anyways, so there are several digital outputs on its back panel, AES/EBU; I2S(HDMI), Coaxial, USB Audio, hell hahah, I have literally no idea which one is better or which can provide a special feature or something, I mean it does show that the USB Audio supports up to up to PCM 768KHz and DSD 11.2M (DSD256), but does that the higher the sampling rate, the better the sound quality? I just can’t make sure...

And if the USB Audio can provide the " best " digital sound quality, then why added other ports? Ain’t that just costing more on the manufacturing end?
Hope you guys can give some insights on this, or share some of your experiences, because this is the first time I saw an AES/EBU port on a audio streamer...

Best,

preston8452

My first few DACs clearly had a worse implementation of USB than the other inputs.  It wasn’t until my current DAC, which I’ve had for about 4 years now, that I felt all inputs, including usb, were equivalent.

The OP seems to assume that usb is universally regarded as the best sounding input.  Besides my personal experience, simply being a member here and reading the comments through the years has led me to believe otherwise.

Usb is the most ubiquitous output.  Every computer has one as do multiple consumer electronics that one may wish to plug into a DAC.  Therefore DAC manufacturers have to add the add the input.  The need for reclocking makes it more difficult to work with, but they have been at it for a few decades now.  Some manufacturers may actually prefer to work with usb.  More power to them

USB is a new comer… when PCs joined in the audio arena. Typically DACs had no USB input. At first DACs did not support them… it is packeted info… not just a digital bit stream.

So, audio equipment popped up that only supported USB, then the USB input was added to higher quality equipment. Which is better is completely dependent on your DAC / source combination. Sometimes it seems that which ever is the higher quality DAC or source), but that doesn’t always work. I have a top quality streamer and DAC and it is really hard to tell the difference. I give the nod to AES.

Trying to understand why I hear a difference between USB vs  spdif and AES inputs.   I compared a vintage tube dac with a current solid state dac.   I have a Levinson 31.5 reference transport.   I connect it to a Sonic Frontiers MkII DAC via optical SPDIF or a Schitt Modius dac via AES.... I can't say there is much of a difference between the two dacs and the differences are subtle.   Relevant to this thread...   I never developed a preference between comparing the optical and coax connections on the SF and had no preference comparing the Coax and AES inputs on the Schitt Dac.   

What surprised me was the difference between streaming a flac file of a cd to the USB input of the Schitt versus the cd played on the transport via AES to the DAC.  I can't say one is better then the other... they are just different.      The transport to the Schitt (or SFdac)  is a bit more velvety sound quality while the USB is a bit more crystalline.   Why such a difference?....

I can imagine a parade of reasons...and none make a lot of sense to me since I can't say the USB sound is good or bad....   just different...and I have no basis to understand the differences.     So.... explanations  like  Jitter from the transport to Dac.   Noise from the PC polluting the USB DAC or jitter in the USB interface etc etc  are all theoretical to me and make no sense.   Thoughts would be appreciated!

USB is fundamentally a different communication method from SP/DIF and AES. USB needs packet conversion, retiming to a bit stream… so that is a function that now falls on the DAC. SP/DIF are the same through different connection types. Optical is usually not as good as it has to go through a electrical to optical conversion, and then back.

...mmm....What always and still pesters me is the apparent disinterest in optical ICs'...

It would seem anything that can carry a SOTA video stream would be SOP for audio....

....or did that ship 'sail', left in reverse, and take out the dock? ;)

Curious, if anyone feels like comment....

All eyes (ears occupied), J