Did a satisfaction threshold exist under 1000 bucks ?

Is there a minimal/optimal subjective and also objective threshold of minimal satisfaction ?

If so, many upgrade chasing may seems like a dog chasing his tail....😁

I just live through one of this upgrading  event...

My system is very good, and when i tried to upgrade it , it was more a curiosity about the new amplifier than a real need...

But keep in mind that my system is 700 bucks for all components... My upgrade trying cost 1000 bucks...😁

Anyway i myself think that there is objective acoustic factors that define good sound, and when these factors are there on this threshold line , most upgrade are a change not always for the better  not an improvement...

Am i alone who live throught this ? am i alone to be satisfied by under 1000 bucks system, headphone and speakers dac and amplifier included ?😁

For sure i listen alone... Many had wife and friends listening with them... This implicate costlier system able to accomodate a room , not headphone or small speakers for one in an acoustic corner for one ...
Anyway am i alone in acoustic bliss with under 1000 bucks system ?

128x128mahgister

Showing 2 responses by simao

In the past few months I've sold off an incredibly good dac, an amazing phono stage, and now I'm without vinyl for the foreseeable future until I managed to find another really good photo stage when I have the money. Right now my system consists of- all used - aragnarok 2 integrated, and Oppo 105, a Gumby, and reference 3A decapo speakers. Witty until it's time as a beautiful VPI turntable with a Hana cartridge. Take away the last two components and you have used a system that sounds absolutely incredible for about 1500. So no, it's not $1,000 but it's pretty close and truthfully, take away the Gumby DAC and just use the oppos on board DAC, and you would have a system for about a thousand that sounds phenomenal. And yes, I've had systems that measure in the five figures total and truthfully this one sounds to my ears just as good.

Speaking of Thoreau, Steve reichert's "Gramophone Dreams" column in this month's Stereophile pretty much highlights the unctuous, boujee lifestyle some audiophiles live. (is this the article you referred to, @kota1 ?) . He was visiting a friend who lived near Walden Pond and had had a six- or seven-figure custom designed listening room built onto his existing home to house his six/seven figure audio system. The column was something out of the events preceding the French Revolution, with the 1% enjoying their canapes and politely applauding after each track was played. Sweet Jesus. As @mapman pointed out, many, many people can barely make ends meet, much less entertain even a $1000 sound system should they actually want one. And as for Walden, @hilde45 , the column mentioned (probably tongue in cheek) how even Thoreau would have wanted that speaker setup. Please.

I've rarely read such an out of touch and pretentious column in that magazine.