Dickie Betts died earlier today at 80 years of age

I just read where Forest Richard Betts passed away earlier today. Although the article didn’t indicate the cause of death, however at 80 it may have just been natural causes. As we grow older, we are watching the building blocks of the music we have grown up with, fade away. Thankfully we have their recordings and will never really lose them. But Dickie’s contributions will always be treasures and it seems an appropriate time to give a listen to Blue Sky. I wanted to attach the link but it wouldn’t take for some reason. So long to the Midnight Rider.

128x128theo

Well said OP. As I have grown older, I have been able to upgrade my audio equipment and enjoy albums I grew up listening to. I can revisit "old friends" I never met. I am currently writing this listening to "Melissa." Dickie Betts was certainly one of those folks. R.I.P. Mr. Betts.

Thought it was a good time to share the story about the Live at the Filmore cover, such a classic with everyone laughing and smiling. In case you didn't hear the backstory:

There's a famous story that goes with the shooting of the Allman Brothers cover.

According to Skydog: The Duane Allman Story by Randy Poe, the band was originally photographed for the album cover under the Fillmore East marquee. But no one liked he results.

So famed New York cover photographer Jim Marshall was sent 900 miles south to Macon to photograph the band.

At a roadie's suggestion, they decided to shoot it against a brick wall across from the studio. They also decided to shoot the roadies for the back cover at Duane's suggestion. (One of the longtime roadies, RED DOG, was not there that day so they put his picture up top afterwards.)

According to Greg Allman's autobiography, Not My Cross to Bear, Marshall could not get the band to smile for the longest period of time. Also, it was a cold day and they were shivering.

Toward the end of the session Marshall told them "Just one more roll..." and went about putting another negative roll into his camera. Just at that moment, who should Duane see walking down the street, but his drug dealer. Quickly Duane got up, made his purchase, ran back, and hid what he had bought behind his hands in his lap.

The "naughty schoolboy" nature of the transaction, which Jim Marshall didn't see, got the rest of the band feeling giddy, and they all stated laughing Ñ which is precisely when Marshall got his long-awaited shot.

Dylan is a Betts fan. One chapter in the recent book Pledging My Time: Conversations With Bob Dylan Band Members by Ray Padgett is a Betts interview.

Here's an Otis Gibbs video from a coupla months back:

I recall an interview in which he said "my sh*t is so simple, anyone could play it". Such humility from a guy who was able to convincingly share guitar duties with Skydog! No small feat!

I’ve always regarded his solo on Stormy Monday as a masterful example of how to build a solo. He starts off sweet and soulful with lots of space and lovely phrasing and increases the density and intensity of his lines to reach a screaming peak. I’ve always treasured his playing from the Live Fillmore shows as much as Duane’s. And listen to his slide playing on Melissa. Talk about making a guitar cry. I can’t but think he was pouring out his grief over Duane’s passing.

I would disagree that Derek lacks chops compared to Dickie. Derek has phenomenal chops. What I hear in Betts’ playing is a less overtly technical approach that is extremely melodic and emotionally direct. This is my perception. Others may have a different take but we can all agree on one thing-- he was one of those players with an easily identifiable signature style. This alone makes him very special.

Living in Atlanta all my life The Allman Brothers were a big part of my youth. Saw the original Band many times in 1970-71. Usually for free at Piedmont Park.

We are indeed growing older and the great music of our youth should be treasured. 

RIP Dickey Betts