Denafrips Pontus *15th* ?

Hi guys, 

I'm confused (doesn't take a lot 🤔)

I ordered a new Pontus 12th-1 direct from Vinshine about 8/9 days ago; it was delivered this morning, but, it wasn't a Pontus 12th-1 I unboxed - it was a Pontus 15th????

I had no idea, and haven't come across, or read anything that there was a new version coming.

I've emailed Vinshine, but with the time difference, they're probably all tucked up in bed right now in Singapore; while I wait for a response, does anyone else have a clue about this "15th" version?

I'd post a picture of the front panel, but I have no idea how to upload photos on A'gon

Thanks for reading 👍

128x128painter24

What we all thought has been officially announced by Alvin, please see below;

https://youtu.be/ksjgWvRLor0?si=zGpdQFU3lbkUjCQU

@agonomics-sf It looks like the main difference between the P15 and V12 is the clock.  If so, and with current 10% off sale, wonder if P15 is one of the better values for DACs under $2000. Also wonder how both units would compare to the new LAiV Harmony that has been getting excellent reviews and costs $2700.

@classic8 I’m curious where you found the specific details about the difference between the P-15th and V-12th? I had been looking for more information but the Denafrips site doesn’t help much. Plus there are no reviews (unless you speak Vietnamese) on YouTube about the P-15th to help assess it on its own merits, or ideally vs. the Venus 12th and P-12th.

I’be also been disappointed by the lack of head to head comparisons between the Laiv Harmony and these 3 Denafrips DACs. It seems that those reviewers aren’t willing to go on record about how good (or not!) the Harmony is compared to Denafrips DAC, or what the sonic differences are. Is Vinshine selling the Harmony at some point and if so I hope that will encourage the Youpsters to post some credible reviews.

in the meantime I’m saving my ¢’s but am likely to get a Pontus 15th unless some new startling information is released in the next couple of months. If you’re in the same spot I recommend reaching out to a Denafrips dealer on its webpage to see if they will sell and ship to the US. I started exploring this option with Dave Chu (the HK distributor) and he quoted me a lower total price for the P-15th (fedex’d to the US, including customs declaration provided to him by Denafrips).

@agonomics-sf You can compare the internal picture of the P15th to that of the Venus 12th-1 (per Denafrips site). Also they mention tighter tolerance on resistors which matches the Venus. Also note that per the denafrips.eu site a new Venus 15th will be available soon (they told me within 3 weeks).

I just received a new Pontus 15th on Tuesday along with a Iris 12th. I can honestly say this is the best digital I have ever heard. There is absolutely no item that I value in reproduction that has not improved over my formerly Marantz sacd 30n based system. Generally speaking, I've always found that a component can either bring the performers to your listening room or transport you to the event. This Denafrips combo provides the later. Layered soundstage depth, width beyond the speakers, a transparent window. There is simply no area of disappointment. 

Fred Ziffle