Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

@whipsaw 

Burn-in on a software patch? Really? On what basis might that be required?

agree 100%, life in the ocd audiophile bubble leads to some strange beliefs

Since the used Terminator mewsickbuff purchased doesn’t registered in Vinshine database, it was most likely through gray market. Not that I’d owned many gears, but in my 40 years of High-end audio pursue, I can count in one finger that offers free firmware upgrades to gray market and used equipment owners. Vinshine.

Enough said.

I could not agree with whipsaw more…(I DO believe in burn-in of capacitors, speakers…new gear in general)….well-used Pontus II, here…Only tried the 1st update. Definitely too bright for this Bobo Boy!  I feel silly now for running the unit for 200 hrs. thinking there would be a change…THERE WASN'T. 😄…Here is my proof…re-installed the original firmware and POOF!!, MIRACULOUSLY the original sound was back….no "burn-in required! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have been smiling ever since. 😄…I did not bother with the next iteration…why mess with perfection…but I do think it’s VERY COOL that the versions are on offer! 👍🏼

not to make this discussion about what is burn in... but i guess it would be true if after a firmware update making the treble forward and shrill, the burn in needs happen to one's ears and brain!!!  🤣

This is really more of a hardware update than a software update. The new code changes the configuration of the FPGA which can activate logic gates that have never been activated. 

That said, I'm not sure how this would need burn-in since analog signals are not flowing through these transistors. I suppose it is possible that the gate switching timing could change subtly after burn-in which could theoretically change the sound.

I upgraded my Terminator + and was not crazy about the sound when I first checked it. I let it run for 72 hours with the amps off (so was not getting used to the sound), and did feel it sounded better when I listened to it again. But it had been a few days since listening to the previous version, so who knows. 

If there really is a change over time, then I could see how no burn-in would be required by switching back since this will use the same logic gates that are well burned in since I assume the DAC was well run-in with the old code. 

I sold my woofer towers just after I made the upgrade and am still waiting for the replacements. My main speakers only play down to about 170Hz so it's hard to make a final assessment of the new firmware until I have the new woofer towers. But I'm liking the sound at this point. I'm currently using the NOS mode which I always thought was a little dull sounding with the original firmware.