Denafrips FPGA Firmware Update

In case there are any Denafrips DAC owners out there that are not aware of the FPGA Firmware Update, here's the link:

I did the update on my Ares II earlier today and am currently enjoying the results.  It is definitely an improvement without question.

mceljo

Showing 4 responses by grh1958

I tried getting the firmware update and my pc crapped out on me, and after several more attempts I couldn't do it. I sent them a picture of the chip, tried following the directions but it wouldn't take. Anyone else out there have a problem?

@mceljo while trying to install my firmware (a different issue) it just added to my frustrations while I was trying to install the firmware. Fortunately I have a couple of spare PC's. Whenever I try diy on any of my electronics it is very difficult for me at best, and often turns to shit. I don't know why the firmware installation didn't work but I'm glad that I at least brick didn't my Denafrips ares. The firmware version that i have is 3.06, so it has missed a couple of firmware updates since this new one came out, I'm not sure if I would need to install each update one at a time. Anyway thanks for asking and I'm going to try it again when my nerves calm down and hope for the best. Thanks for asking.

I finally was able to do the firmware update on my denafrips ares and it's a relief that I was able to without bricking my dac. I was hoping for a bigger improvement than it is though. I think it (dac) has a little more depth, and it didn't cost me anything so I'll take it. Thank you Alvin for being so helpful.

@accuracyman        I am amazed how most audio gear needs to break in, I got my firmware updated a few days ago and it does seem to be sounding better. I really don't understand the science and people telling me that there is a lot of snake oil. If I would have listened to these people my system would not sound half as good as it does now. That guy Amir on youtube who measures everything doesn't believe in anything he can't measure, and I "know" there is more to it even though I don't fully understand it.