Dedicated AC Circuits: It's not the noise, it's the upstream problems

I live in a 15 year old home which I’ve been slowly upgrading the AC service as time and energy have permitted. Every single switch has been replaced, many with Kasa brand smart switches. All the 120V breakers have been brought up to modern code, and every single GFCI outlet has been replaced or added where now required.

Outside outlets have been replaced where needed and new in-use covers applied. Of the remaining outlets about 2/3rds have been replaced with commercial / residential (i.e. commercial but tamper resistant) outlets.

After going through this exercise I have to say that one of the biggest reasons to have a dedicated circuit is not the use of 1" thick conductors going to a cryogenic treated, $500 locking outlet. It’s getting rid of all of the upstream crap that happens over time.

I’ve found so many:

• loose connections
  • loose outlets
  • back stabbed connections
  • corrosion
  • random items inserted into an outlet
  • scorch marks

it’s a wonder this house didn’t actually burn down.

My point is, that for me, putting in a new circuit for the audio gear isn't about exotic materials so much as having a clean, new circuit with 2 sets of connections to worry about: at the breaker and the outlet.

erik_squires

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

@ozzy -

While you’re at it, also check the connections in the breaker box. I was surprised that a couple of mine were not fully tightened down.

ozzy

Some folks neglect to come back in a little while to retighten connections, after a new conductor has completed it’s compression, following a fresh install of whatever. (ie: breakers, outlets, power supply caps, speaker terminals, anything with compression/screw terminals).

Doing that three times per new connection, over the course of a couple hours, has always seemed a good idea, to me.