dCS Bartok Apex vs McIntosh DA2 - Trouble Hearing the Difference

I am currently playing a new set of Focal Scala Evos with a McIntosh MA9500, fed by a Wiim Pro playing Tidal Direct. This set up uses the McIntosh DA2, which sounds remarkable to my untrained ears. 

I borrowed a dCS Bartok Apex from my local dealer. Given that I can run balanced out (using Transparent Reference Gen 6 cables) to the MA9500, I can switch inputs to compare the DA2 & Wiim vs the Bartok (DAC & Streaming) very quickly. I level matched the best I could.

What I am confused about, though, is just how close the DA2 sounds to the Bartok. The most noticeable difference is how forward and prevalent vocals are with the DA2. They seem anchored to the center image and several feet more forward into the room, whereas in the Bartok they are a bit more recessed, and integrated into the rest of the music. The Bartok soundstage is also wider, but not shockingly so. The sound is definitely smoother or "rounder" with the Bartok as compared to the DA2. 

I admit I am relatively new to critical listening, but I think I expected the difference between the $20K Bartok and the built-in DA2 to be more profound. I'm not anxious to spend the money on the Bartok, but am willing to do if it is a significant step up, which I think it should be. 

So what am I missing? Am I perhaps limited by the MA9500? My dealer doesn't love autoformer-based Mc products, but many do, so I would have thought the MA9500 is sufficiently resolving. Room acoustics are not the best, but certainly not terrible. 

Interested in any thoughts or feedback.

ripordaff

@verdantaudio  - Good suggestion, but the Bartok is actually serving as both streamer (through Tidal Direct) as well as DAC. So it’s really Wiim & DA2 vs Bartok. 

I think it's that crappy transparent  cable thats making it so you can't hear the difference, they use cheap OFC wire which is the worst wire for audio get some OCC single crystal wire It's far superior to anything OFC at any price.

I am not surprised, I auditioned DCS Bartok and compared to Hegel 590 internal DAC, and there was no improvement. I ended up getting Denafrips Terminator plus. And I am happy. My source is Bluesound. Bartok is not very good in my experience. Also a lot of glitches occurred when transitioning from one song to next one. I was not very pleased.

Similar to the experience of fishagedone, when in for service I  auditioned a dcs bartok with my heritage Mac system (2125 amp, C28 preamp, XR5 Mac speakers) it was very nice and detailed. However, I later purchased a Bluesound Node X and after the break in period it was an extremely close second.  As my dealer and others suggested the Node X punched way above its weight.  Not suggesting a Node X for you but saying that the extra dollars may bring a minimal improvement.  In my system it was finding the right room, having the correct speaker placement, as well as adding a Rel S510 subwoofer, that has made it as close to audio perfection for my ears as I desire.

Also, I must sat Mcintosh is a wonderful company to deal with. Actual employees who care will pick up the phone and give you straight answers in my experience. I am concerned about Dcs and their threat of suing a young YouTuber for giving a negative review - it shows a lot about what kind of company they are to even entertain doing something so incredibly asinine