DACs and more. Is there a good analog sounding DAC.

I own a Bluesound node 2i for a yr now. I was initially impressed with the sound. I stream Qobuz. My Belle's amp/Audio Illusion/Vandys system produces a very good cd quality with the Nodei. I not better SQ with Qobuz HR songs. I have to admit, the Node is a great streamer for its price, HOWEVER, it has its limitations, like a shallow soundstage and some instrument separation. Therefore, I am looking to improve my digital reproduction since I love the the benefits of streaming. It seems that the streaming/Dac market has proliferated. I have two options. Replace the Node or add an external DAC. My budget is < $2,000. I Iike to stay within that range. I hear there are a lot of DACs in that category like the Denafrips, Border Patrol, Gustard and many others. Same with streamers. One that was referred to me was the Auralic Altair g1. Most reviews talk about its construction but not the sound quality nor A vs. B comparisons.

My 2 questions to fellow members: what has been the best Added improvement you have experienced with adding and external DAC to the Node. OPTION #1

Can anyone share about the Aurlic Altair g1 and /other streamer under 2K. OPTION #2

thanks

128x128lobinero

I would also say that for a more 'analog' sounding DAC, look into the various R2R options out there (I've got a Holo May DAC myself, and it's wonderful).... 

Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MkIII.  R2R using 2 PMD200's.  Tube analog section.  And much more.  No modern bells and whistles, just glorious sonics that simply sounds real.  Yes, it's old, but don't buy the "digital has improved so much" stuff.  SF did it right in the first place. Now just try to find one. 😁

"digital has improved so much"   it has been improving but now how the industry makes it out to be. This reminds me of the HDMI Con in the industry

Lot’s of good advice above. Join Vandy owners forum for even more inputs….

I have two Vandy centered systems one includes a NAIM streamer DAC, another an Aesthetix. I have a Lampizator on loan to another Vandy owner …

Fun

Jim