DAC UPGRADE QUESTION

I currently have the following system:

1. Martin Logan 11A impressions hybrid-subwoofer with electrostatic panels.

2. Conrad Johnson Classic 62 power amp-60 watts per channel (not the SE )

3. Chord Qtest DAC

4. Lumin U2 mini streamer

Adding the Lumin and streaming with Qobuz has improved the sound immensely from my Cary CD player being used as a transport and the Qtest DAC.

The Qtest Dac was around $2000.00. 

Looking for upgrade suggestions as thinking I can improve my sound further with a better sounding DAC.

Thank you. 

128x128kjl1065

In a different Agon thread about DACs (there are multitudes) a member cited a video from Pearl Acoustics dealing with the question of whether DACS sound the same. I thought it was a thoughtful exercise and he minimized the hype. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOLGsS27R0&t=1229s

A second interesting source of information is from the Arizona Audio/Video Club. They did a blind test of several mid priced DACs and the results were interesting. https://azavclub.com/what-is-new-1 The Black Ice Glass Tube DAC, the Chord Qutest, and the Schiit Yggrasil did well but it was obvious from the results that there was not a clear consensus. I bought a Black Ice based on the results and I have been happy with it. 

I have 3 DACs, 2 HDCD CD players, one SACD player, and a transport, with some dating back to the late 90's. I can say from my personal experience that there is a narrow range of difference between these units. Part of this could be that I'm 67 and my hearing rolls off over 12 kHz but I doubt you will hear any sort of dramatic difference with a new DAC. That being said, I'm planning to purchase an Audio Mirror Tubadour IV SE because I want to try a NOS ladder DAC. I can't audition this unit before I buy it but it has been favorably reviewed and there are several positive comments from owners on this forum so I'll take my chances. It is a little out of your budget at $3500 but still in the ballpark.

The other thing I'll mention is that there are a lot of used DACs on the market. You and I aren't the only audiophiles chasing the digital holy grail. This is a great way to experiment with different design philosophies without very much price risk.

Will echo a previous post

If you spend $1000 more than Qutest it's unlikely u will experience "way better" but you will get "different".

Law of diminishing returns thing

Forgive me if you've already have enough information and you may be aware of this new DAC with streamer. I know nothing other than the information provided. Perhaps other members know more. MATRIX MINI-I 4 ES9039Q2M Music Streamer $649.00  https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/matrix-mini-i-4-music-streamer-player?_kx=2LVGn4pTusRAqUyAOrmaeosfUQWiVexHjbPJmwTIja4%3D.YduXAQ

The MATRIX MINI-I 4 ES9039Q2M Music Streamer does not appear to have any digital outputs to allow to connect to an external DAC.

I like my Gustard R-26 and I use it to stream from Qobuz. 

Me and an audiophile buddy of mine had a DAC shootout at his place. The three contestants were Mytech Brooklyn Bridge, Qutest and a Bryston BDA-3.

Same day, same system, same tracks: the Mytech sounded "shrouded", the Qutest was better by a bunch. It was clear and articulate.

The BDA-3 kicked butt, great sound stage, very musical. $4k.

And yes we went back and forth, listened for quite a while...considered doing it single blind, but it was unnecessary. The differences were that obvious.

Just my personal experience YMMV.

Regards,

barts